Chapter 8: The choice of the mountaineer

Bobbi

After we eat breakfast Sam and I start our hike to where we will have our date. I learned that Sam went to ask my dad's permission to take me on a date to begin with, even though he already asked me. But since dad is responsible for everyone here he needed to know. Plus, I think Sam wanted to make a good impression. Thankfully, dad didn't tell Matt or Scott or anyone for that matter about it. No one knows we are going on one. But by the time we'll come back they probably will have figured that out.

We walk for almost an hour talking about a lot of things, from random things we saw on TV to what we wish to accomplish in our future. When we finally reach our destination my breath is taken away. There is a beautiful waterfall and a small pond in the middle of a meadow. I go to take a closer look at the waterfall and check the water. So, that's why he said I should take my bathing suit with me.

"Do you like it?" he asks smiling.

"I love it. Thank you for bringing me here. It's beautiful," I tell him honestly.

He sets up the blanket in front of the pond and sits down, patting the place next to him. I laugh and sit down.

"So, what are we going to do today?" I ask him.

"I thought maybe we could get to know each other better," he says smiling.

"Like trivial things or really personal?" I ask.

"Both. You start," he says.

"My favorite season is winter, well actually it's the Christmas season and I have a piercing in a very intimate place," I say with a straight face. I watch him swallow, his Adam's apple bobbing.

"Piercing?" he asks looking down on me.

"Yeah, and Christmas is just the best," I say. Of course, he stayed focused on the piercing.

"Really?" he asks.

"Yeah. And not just because of the gifts, but the decorations and the cookies. It's just wonderful. And I'm totally messing with you," I say laughing.

"Huh?" he asks taking a moment to register what I said. But then he smiles. "So, you don't like Christmas?" he asks catching on. We both laugh out loud.

"No, I do love Christmas. But no piercing, sorry."

"It's okay," he says.

"Your turn."

"I like spring."

"Why?"

"I guess because it means renewal. No matter what happened the year before in spring you can start over again."

"I never thought of it that way. I like it."

"Enough to change your favorite season?" he asks with a smug grin on his face.

"I wouldn't go that far. You wanna talk about more serious stuff or just telling stories from when we were younger?" I ask him. He sighs.

"Let's work toward the serious stuff," he suggests.

"That's fine by me. What do you like to do in your spare time?" I ask him.

"There are several things. Obviously hanging out with Justin and the rest of my friends, but mainly him. We've known each other since we were five and have been best friends ever since. I like running, boxing. Soccer, obviously. But I also like to read and I'm good with computers. And when I turned sixteen I got my own truck. Mom and dad gave me half the money to buy it," he says excited.