Chapter 22: The blizzard

Bobbi

I walk through the blizzard and try to catch my breath. My oxygen tank is empty, there's absolutely no use of carrying it anymore. I discard it and put my backpack back on. I'm so cold. And I'm sure I am lost. This fucking blizzard came out of nowhere and I got separated from my group. Why can't I find them? They can't be too far ahead. Scott was just right next to me. And Mickey and Eli were just a few steps ahead of us. Where are you guys?

The wind has changed its course. It is hitting me full force in the face. I can't breathe. I stop and turn my back to it. My eyes are shut. I am so tired. I want to sleep. But I can't. Rule number one: don't fall asleep. I open my eyes and I see something on the ground. The snow starts to cover it up but I crouch down to inspect it.

I gasp.

This can't be.

It's Mickey.

He is dead.

Why is he dead? He was just alive.

The wind changes direction again and it hits me right in the face again. This blizzard is really getting on my nerves. Why am I not more upset about my dead friend? I look back down, but he is gone. Did I hallucinate? I close my eyes and turn around. I take a few tentative steps and hit something. I fall over. I open my eyes to inspect the damage.

Another body.

Eli.

He is curled into a ball. Frozen. Asleep. No. He is dead.

Poor Eli.

I don't understand. Why am I not upset? Is it because I already knew they were dead? They died on Everest, in May. How could they die again?

Where am I? Where is this strong wind coming from? I take a step back and step on something. I turn around and see a body sitting down in the snow. The head is slumped against the chest and I can't see who it is. I kneel before it and lift the head.

It's Scott.

Is he dead? I think he is.

Ow. I feel a pain in my chest. Ow. Another one in my side. Ow. My body tells me to stand up and walk. There's nothing I can do for him. But he is my friend. My best friend. He is like a brother to me. He can't be dead. Not Scott.

"Scott, wake up," I say and shake him lightly. He doesn't move. "Scott, please, you have to wake up. I can't carry you," I plead. Ow. The pain in my chest increases. I shake him but to no avail. He is gone. Scott is gone. My friend is gone and I can't do a damn thing about it. Why do we do this? What do we hope to accomplish? Is that bit of freedom we feel on a mountain so important to risk our lives? I can't do this anymore. I just lost someone I loved. It hurts me. I want to cry, but no tears come. The wind is strong and cold and I can't breathe.

I turn around and crawl away. It is so cold. I want to go home. I want to go back to Sam. I want to curl into a ball, under a blanket and let him hold me. Let him tell me I am safe and sound. Let him tell me he loves me. I want Sam. I need Sam. Where are you Sam? Please, come and get me.

I open my eyes and there he is.

He is standing in front of me, extending his hand for me to take.

He came to take me home.

I am so glad. I am so happy.

I try to get up, but it's so hard.

I try to move, but my limbs seem to have turned into lead.

I force my legs to carry my weight.