Riley James and the Boys Next Door.

“Okay everyone! This is the last one for tonight. Hope you all don’t mind a cover because a certain talented ginger has just released a new album called Multiply and I may be a smidge obsessed. So this is “One” by Ed Sheeran. Hope you enjoy.” I spoke into the microphone that stood in front of me.

I twisted behind me to check if the band was ready before I softly counted ‘a 5 6 7 8…’

“Tell me that you turned down the man

Who asked for your hand

Cause you're waiting for me

And I know, you're gonna be away a while

But I've got no plans at all to leave

And would you take away my hopes and dreams?

Just stay with me

All my senses come to life

While I'm stumbling home as drunk as I

Have ever been and I'll never leave again

Cause you are the only one

And all my friends have gone to find

Another place to let their hearts collide

Just promise me, you'll always be a friend

Cause you are the only one”

I sang, my voice resonating through the medium sized coffee shop in the heart of LA as my fingers flowed over the worn strings of my acoustic guitar.

“All my senses come to life

While I'm stumbling home as drunk as I

Have ever been and I'll never leave again

Cause you are the only one

And all my friends have gone to find

Another place to let their hearts collide

Just promise me, you'll always be a friend

Cause you are the only one”

I put my heart and soul into the song, letting my voice portray the emotion that the song evoked in me. When I finished the last verse, I strummed out the last few chords and let them ring out before opening my hazel eyes and scanning over the small crowd that were standing and clapping .

“Thank you so much everyone for coming tonight! Lot’s of love!” I yelled out before blowing out a kiss, thanking the backing band, stepping off the stage and grabbing a water bottle.

“Great show darling! Thanks for playing for us tonight. The customers love when you perform here.” Mary, the owner of Java Lava exclaimed while giving me a big hug. She was an old lady with graying hair, a warm smile and she made a kick butt cup of coffee.

“Oh of course! It was my pleasure!” I said smiling before walking over to my bag to collect all of my stuff and get on home, I had a hot date with my best friend and some chinese takeout.

I was about to get up and leave when I heard someone clear their throat from behind me. I stood up and spun around and my eyes met with a tall man in a suit holding out a business card.

“Hi! I’m Riley James, Can I help you?” I said extending my hand and giving him a firm handshake, something my father taught me to always do.

“Hello, I’m Adam Graham. I work for Gold Records and I think you would be a great addition to the label. Are you currently signed by anyone?” He asked whilst shaking my hand.

It took me a second to process what he was saying before stuttering out a “No, I’m not signed.”

He smiled and handed me his card and told me to call if I was interested before turning on his heel and slipping out into the night.

I stood there for quite some time before I remembered that I should be leaving now and exited the coffee shop, the bells tinkling as the door closed and I briskly walked in the light chill over to my car. It was a plain black honda civic, nothing special but it got the job done.  

***

“Em’s I’m home!” I yelled out into the apartment as I tossed my keys onto the kitchen table and slipped off my jacket.

“Couch!” She yelled back at me. I quickly changed into pajama pants and a old hoodie before hopping over the back of the couch and plopping down next to Emma.

“You’ll never guess what happened to me tonite.” I told her as I grabbed a carton of fried rice.

“What?” She mumbled, mouth full of chow mein.

“A person from Gold records wants to sign me!” I yelled.

“NO. FREAKING. WAY!” She screamed, attacking me to the floor in a hug. “I’m so proud of you!!”

“Thanks babe. I’m supposed to set up a meeting soon to I guess officially see if they want me. But for now I want to watch the Bachelorette!” I said getting back on the couch and pressing play on the recording before snuggling back into the couch.

***

Hope you liked it :) New Chap coming soon.