Secrets, Stars and Aero Bars

(Title from that one part in Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell)

And ayy guys it's my first time writing analogical so I hope it's okay! 

--

Night-time was Virgil's favourite time to be awake. It was nights like these, when the sky was clear and the breeze was soft, and the allure of the moon glowing silver through his curtains drew him outside of the mind space, it was nights like these in which he truly felt peaceful. When he was drawn to the one special spot under a tree on the soft knoll of a hill. That was Virgil's favourite place to be, really. Where he could listen quietly to music and stargaze all night, while the rest of the world was silent and still, and the sky was the most calming, beautiful thing he'd ever seen. He lay there now, nestled in the lush grass, headphones on and eyes reflecting the thousands of sparkling stars high above him. It had been a hectic day, he was thankful for the peaceful outlet.

Actually, objectively speaking his day hadn't been overly hectic, he'd just been worn a little thin and hadn't had time to relax or take a moment just to breathe. Staring up at the sky, though, studying the stars and brushing his hands through the grass at his sides, he felt the knotted ball of unease in his chest unwind, until it was barely there at all. He inhaled deeply and shut his eyes, lying still and just enjoying the moment. When he reopened them, however, somebody was standing over him.

Virgil let out a yelp and flinched away, sitting bolt upright and staring at the intruder in shock. He relaxed microscopically upon recognising who it was. Logan peered down at him in surprise, blinking owlishly behind his glasses.

"Hello, Virgil," he said. Virgil sighed and removed his headphones.

"Hey, Logan."

"I... didn't mean to frighten you? I just didn't expect to see anybody else out here," Logan said, sounding sheepish. Virgil shrugged, plucking at the blades of grass.

"Yeah, sorry, I didn't exactly expect to open my eyes and see somebody standing over me," he huffed. Logan winced a little, and shifted his feet.

"My apologies, then. Although, if you don't mind me asking, Virgil, what are you doing out here? It's past midnight, you should be asleep by now."

"I could ask the same of you," Virgil deflected, and the logical side gave him one of his infamous unimpressed looks. Virgil bit his lip and scooted backwards until his back was leaning against the trunk of the tree. 

"Fine. I come out here a lot, whenever I can't sleep or I've had a bad day," he admitted quietly. Logan wandered closer and dropped down next to him, only a few inches stopping their shoulders from brushing. 

"Which one was it tonight?" he wondered. Virgil twisted his mouth and glanced away, watching the silvery light of the moon slip through the tree leaves.

"Both."

"Oh. Well... we both know I'm not the best with emotions and feelings," Logan said, strangely hesitant for once, "but if you... wanted to talk? About what's been bothering you? Then I could at least provide a listening ear," he said. Virgil glanced at him, an amused smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.