Chapter Ten

*ding*

My phone went off right next to my ear. I pounced up, hoping I didn't wake Alex but it was too late. He heard my phone as well and woke up. It was still dark out and the crickets were chirping. The wind was easily blowing into the window. It was peaceful and I enjoyed it. I checked the time and it was 5 in the morning. Who would text at this time.

"Laur, I have news. I don't know how you're going to take it. So you can hear it now, or you can come over later" The text was from Dawn. I assumed the news was about the custody rights.

"No I wanna hear it now," I texted it back.

"Well both of your parents showed up. Both our moms were head to head and it's safe to say they no longer enjoy each other's company. Your dad didn't say a word. Your mom was yelling at the court explaining why she should have you. However my parents exposed her and what she put you through-which is alcohol and child abuse- and they took her in. Lauren, your mom is in jail. But I guess I have some good news as well...the judge explained to my parents that you are old enough to be emancipated. So your mom is in jail and you are going to be emancipated!" The text read.

I felt Alex peaking over my shoulder, reading the message. I looked up and at him. He had an unreadable expression on.

"I'm sorry about your mom," he finally said.

"Don't be, maybe for once, she'll learn her lesson." I told him. "At least I can be emancipated." I said cheerfully.

"Chicken nugget?" He asked nervously.

"Yes chicken tender." I said.

"I was thinking. I mean since you can be emancipated....why don't you just move in here?" My eyes widened along with my smile.

"Baby, you'd be willing to let me do that?" I asked.

"Well yeah! I mean you've already stayed here two nights and well I hope you've enjoyed it." He smiled child like.

"I would love too!" I kissed his cheek and agreed. Everything inside of me lit up. I was filled with joy and love.

"Good! And now, maybe you'd start a YouTube channel?" He asked.

"Oh my god, I didn't even think of that! I could totally do that now!" I exclaimed.

Everything was coming together and the pieces were being placed properly. I was enjoying everything that was happening to me at the moment, except for the fact that I still needed to be there for Dawn. I would do everything in my power to make sure that she survives and beats this.

~~~~~~

                           {1 year later}
"Babe, we're filming a video! Do you want to watch?" Alex yelled to me from the stairs.

"No baby, I'm still editing! Maybe next week!" I yelled back at him.

"Okay. Don't mess up!" He taunted me. I rolled my eyes. 

A year ago I moved into Alex's house with four other guys. During this period of time, Kyle moved in with Mia and they so far have stayed happy. I started my own YouTube channel called "laurDIY" and it's blowing up! It's  amazing! I started being homeschooled now so I can focus on my job. Mia and I have become great friends. She's a better person than she looks to be.

Dawn has been condemned to a hospital bed and I visit her every day. She appreciates it, but after everything, I know that Dawn doesn't have very long. I can see it in her eyes and I try to spend as much time with her as possible.