Dedicated Chapter 14:

A little earlier at Attack House

-HANJI-

This is my first encounter with Sawney's friend, Bean. Brown hair, tanned skin and smiling eyes. He is sitting next to Sawney.

"Hi, Bean! Nice to meet you!" I greeted him with a smile.

"Yeah, same here."

He sounded quite gloomy though.

"Are you alright?" I asked him.

"Please don't mind me. I am fine, really."

Sawney doesn't seem to see it that way though. He put a hand on Bean's forehead to check for fever.

"Do not worry guys, I'm fine. Let's just order something good."

We ordered seafood and sherbet and started chatting about what we need to know about each other.

"I am working at the hardware's second branch. It's a bit far from here though, almost on the outskirts." Bean glanced at Sawney.

"Maybe Sawney have said this already, but I work as a science teacher and I'm a part-time librarian."

"How about your hobbies?"

"Science. And work."

"You must not push yourself too far though. Rest is a must." He commented.

I looked at Bean and he asked me what's wrong.

"Oh, no, nothing. It's just that you and Sawney are quite alike. Sawney will always tell me not to overwork and you too, have just said that I must not push myself too far. And from what you two are telling me, you two are like brothers. Since when you were friends with each other? I'm curious."

Bean stopped short in his meal and so did Sawney. I turned to Sawney just to see him stare at Bean. After a few seconds, Sawney started speaking.

"It's because we're childhood friends. We both did things together and been through a lot. There are times that we quarreled too; even small things. Right?" He nudged Bean who nodded.

"I should have known what's obvious. You two are inseparable."

"Well I guess, maybe." Said Bean with a sigh.

I wanted to ask something but I suddenly felt the need to pee. Standing up, I excused myself and went to the comfort room. When I have finished, I hurriedly started walking back but suddenly stopped when I heard my name mentioned. I made a furtive glance from the corner of the wall and listened to Sawney and Bean as they talk.

"Do you hate her?" Asked Sawney.

"Contrary to that, I actually like her. She's a nice girl. She is suitable for you. You have such a good girlfriend."

"Now, what are you saying?! She is my girlfriend but I care for you too! It will not be long enough until things are settled." He turned to Bean.

I turned back around, in nervousness and confusion. Since I don't want to face them immediately, I went back inside the comfort room and calmed up. After fixing myself up, I intentionally walked with loud footsteps to notify them that I'm coming.

"Let's go back to getting to know each other! What should we talk about next?!" I exclaimed.

I will put aside what I heard until I'm back home.

---

We took much more time than expected. It was already 8:14 pm when we finished. During my conversation with Sawney, he was always avoiding my eyes. It was Bean who was talking most of the time when I ask questions. Right now, we are standing in the middle of the parking lot.