Chapter 8

A streak of sunlight shown through the front window waking me up. I looked up and found Dallas fast asleep. I slid out if his arms and sat up. I looked around slowly searching for the creatures. After several minutes of searching it was clear. Not a single one to be found. I looked over my shoulder at Dallas and Jenesa. I wanted to wake him but he needed the sleep. So I climbed to the front seat and sat there for a few minutes. "Why can't things go back to normal?" I asked myself aloud and I reached for the door handle and climbed out of the truck. I walked to the back and climbed over the tail gate. I stood there for a few seconds and I reached for a bag with food and water inside. The bag was soaked but the food inside was almost completely dry. I grabbed three bottles of water and two cans of pineapple. Then suddenly I herd a cry coming from two or three cars back.

"Help! Help me please!?" The person said. I grabbed my now and jumped out of the truck.

"Where are you?" I asked. Looking around and into the vehicles. Suddenly I saw a young boy on the road. I walked over to him loading my bow. I took a closer look and saw that bites were taken out of his arms.

"What happened to you?" I asked. The young boy looked at me. And he opened his mouth to speak. But nothing came out and went limp. I took a few steps closer standing over him. He had stopped breathing. And suddenly he started again. Small moans and gasps escaped him and he looked up at me. But his eyes were bloodshot and his face was pale. I took a step back pointing my bow at his head. He crawled to his knees and stood up. He wasn't much taller than me. And then he started to run after me. I turned to run and I didn't get more than ten paces away before I fell over a lifeless body. I flipped around on my back and the creature wasn't far behind. I reached for my bow but before I could grab it the creature had fell on top of me. I held it by it's throat hoping to keep it from biting me.

"Help! Dallas help!" I screamed. When the truck doors failed to open I began to loose hope. I didn't let go but I couldn't hold on forever. My arms began to get tired and I began to loose strength. "This is it" I told myself. "I'm going to die."