Chapter 12

"Mommy! Daddy! Wake up!" Jenesa yelled. I jolted awake and so did Dallas.

"Sweetheart what's wrong?!" I asked. She didn't say or do anything but point down below. I leaned over the hammock and saw at least two dozen zombies hoarding around the truck and tree. I put my hand across Jenesas mouth and whispered to her "stay quiet, they don't know we're here yet."

"What do we do?" I asked Dallas.

"Wait them out I guess," he said shrugging his shoulders. I sighed and nodded my head. I really didn't want to stay in a tree all day. We were already hungry and thirsty. From what it looks like they weren't going anywhere for awhile. About five hours later the zombies spread apart but still weren't leaving.

"Baby we need a new plan. We're starving and we can't wait here forever. What if they don't leave? We need a plan," I said desperately.

"There is nothing else we can do. All of our supplies are in the truck and there are to many of them. We need to wait it out." Dallas said. I began to get frustrated. I sat and thought for awhile. I quickly jumped up and climbed a few branches higher. I pulled the pocket knife out of my jeans and flipped it open. I sawed away at the branch quickly.

"What the hell are you doing?!" Dallas shouted. I didn't respond and I kept sawing away the branch. He hated when I ignored him but we needed to get out of there. Once the three inch wide branch was loose I yanked it off.

"Here take this," I said to Dallas. Dallas reluctantly took the branch in his hands. Once I climbed back down I told Dallas to grab Jenesa.

"Not until you tell me why," he said. I sighed. I was annoyed but I don't have a reason to argue instead of get us out of here.

"I'm gonna throw this branch over there," I said pointing away from the truck.

"Once I do we run to the truck and get the hell out of here." I said.

"Baby that's to dangerous. We are not taking that risk." He said kindly. I ignored him and threw the branch as far as I could. The zombies turned around and followed the sound of the heavy branch.

"Go!" I yelled. Dallas scooped up Jenesa and climbed out of the tree and ran to the truck. Him and Jenesa made it by the time the zombies realized it was nothing. Dallas quickly started the truck and I was at least fifteen feet above the ground. I had no choice but to jump if I was to make it. I took a deep breath and closed my red before I leaped down and landed in the truck bed with a thud. As soon as we began to move I got to my knees. And with another thud a zombie or two hit the truck reaching over the tail gate. "How the hell are they able to move so fast?" I asked myself. I grabbed my bow and loaded it. I aimed and shot killing one. The other began to climb in the truck. I had no more arrows and I desperately searched for a knife. I couldn't find one and I must have dropped it when I jumped. By the time I turned around the zombie stood over me. I scooted away and I made it to my feet in a split second. The zombie ran towards me and I grabbed it by it's shoulders and tried to push it over the side. But it was to strong. I looked around and saw that the others gave up the chase. I gave it one last shove and over the side it went. Dallas didn't stop the truck until we were far away from danger.

"Are you o.k? I'm so sorry I couldn't help but-"

"I'm fine and I know you couldn't. It's fine baby as long as we are all safe." I said cutting him off.

"Well now that I know your o.k. What the hell is wrong with you?! We could have been killed!" He said angrily.

"But did we die?" I asked jokingly. Dallas opened his mouth to say something but instead he laughed.

"Is Jenesa o.k?" I asked.

"She is fine. Scared. But safe." Dallas said. I smiled and gave him a quick kiss. I walked over to the passenger side and got in the truck. I looked back to find Jenesa with a wide smile.

"Mommy your o.k." She said smiling. I nodded my head and smiled.