Chapter 8

Before the rogue could him, Gabriel jumped, shifted forms, and rolled out of the way. By now all the rogues were in their wolf forms and stalked towards Gabriel. I slowly backed into the bushes out of the way.

      Gabriel managed to knock a few of his attackers away, but he didn't see the leader go behind him.

     " Gabriel!" I yelled just as the wolf lunged and dug his teeth into Gabriel's black fur making it darker because if the blood.

     Gabriel yelped and turned to get the wolf off. The others took the advantage and attacked. " No!" I yelled as the wolves growled and Gabriel yelped and growled.

     I saw red. My wolf was fighting for control and she won. I shifted and growled so deep the earth almost seemed to tremble. The rogues looked at me with teeth bared. They began to circle me and I stared at each in turn, daring them to attack.

      As one they jumped and slammed me in the ground. "Tessa!" I heard Gabriel's weak yell from across the clearing. I slowly got my feet underneath me and threw the rogues off of me with such force that the ones who hit a tree broke their sides or backs by the crunching sound that followed.

      The leader shifted. " Guardian Wolf," He snarled as the ones not too injured got up. I growled and jumped at the leader. He shifted and met me in the air. We came crashing down biting at eachother. He bit my side and I howled in pain. He took the advantage and shoved me away. I staggered, but then suddenly a new sensation overcame me. It was like everything became sharper. My hearing, sight, smell, and even touch became sensitive. I felt the rogue running at me and just as he reached me, I moved back and grabbed his neck as he raced back and clamped my jaws around him. He yelped and his blood filled my mouth making me bite down harder. I held onto him until he quit struggling and turned to the other rogues.

     I dropped their dead leader's body on the ground as he slowly became human and bared my teeth at them. All of them looked at me and the look in their eyes is one never seen in a rogue. Fear.

     ' I suggest you leave and never come back' I linked to them with a menacing voice. They turned and ran out of the territory.

    I howled in triumph. I heard a moan behind me and turned to see Gabriel leaned against a tree. I quickly shifted forms and ran to him. " Gabriel!" I sat next to him and tried to pull him against me but he shied away.

    " Tessa. What are you?" Was the last thing he said before losing consciousness.

     " Gabriel? Gabriel!?" I yelled while shaking him. ' Damon! Come to the edge of the territory nearest to the house quickly! Gabriel's been injured!' I mind linked to Damon. Him, Gabriel's father, Derek, Alexandria, Valerie, and a few patrolling wolves came here five minutes later.

     " What happened." Mr. Blackwood asked me.

     " Rogues came and attacked us. They hurt him bad before I attacked and killed some of them," I said before as evenly as I could. It was only then that they noticed the dead rogues.

    " You killed all of them?" Valerie asked incredulously.

    " That's not possible," Derek said as he helped carry Gabriel.

    " Not for a Guardian Wolf," Damon said. I looked at him.

     " You knew? For how long?"

     " After our strange kitchen conversation, I went to the library and searched through the archives. I found a book called 'Guardian Wolves' and you fit the description in there," He said as we opened the door to the bedroom. I stood there stunned. He knew and kept my secret. I'd have to thank him somehow.

     Just then Gabriel woke up. He began to moan. " Tessa.....Tessa....." He kept on saying that and I went and held his hand.

    I'm right here. Don't worry," This seemed to calm him down and he only moaned when he breathed.

    The doctor walked in and began to inspect Gabriel. " 3 of his ribs broke and healed wrong. I'm afraid I'm going to have to break them again reset them or else he will be in pain forever." When he said he had to break his bones again, I became instantly protective.

     I used my body to shield Gabriel. " You will not hurt him again!" I cried out. They backed off no doubt knowing my wolf was surfacing. Then Valerie stepped up.

      " Tessa, he has to. If not Gabriel will forever be in pain. Do you really want that?" She asked and I growled at her , but deep down I knew she was right. Slowly I backed away from Gabriel and Valerie and Derek grabbed hold of me.

     "We have a problem," The doctor said, "  I can't give him any sedatives or pain killers because they will make it take longer for the bones and the deeper wounds to heal," I tried to lunge at him but Valerie and Derek held me back and began dragging me out the door.

     I began yelling at the doctor knowing my eyes were turning bright blue, " You bastard! I'll kill you if you hurt him! Let me go so I can hurt him! Let me go!" I yelled, my wolf wanted out but I knew that if she did, she would hurt our friends, so I fought her.

     Valerie and Derek began leading me down the stairs to a cell on the first floor used for first time werewolves.

     " Sorry Tess, but it's for your own good and Gabriel's too," Valerie said as they put me in the cell. When I touched the ground, I shifted forms and raced for the cell door.

     Before I reached it, they slammed the door shut. When I hit the door a searing pain ripped through my side that hit the door. I whined and limped away.

     " The metal is laced with wolfsbane to keep new wolves and prisoners from escaping," Derek explained. I just growled at him and he shrugged and turned to leave.

     Valerie began to leave but looked back at me, "I'm sorry Tess," She said before going after Derek.

      I stayed in my wolf form that night because it kept me strong. Gabriel's screams echoed through the house and each time he screamed, I howled. Alexandria walked by and Gabriel screamed just as she past and I howled. She looked at me and began to cry. I whined and walked to the bars but didn't touch them. She reached her hand into the cell and I placed my head in it to comfort her. She left and came back with some food then left again.

     When Gabriel stopped screaming Valerie walked down the steps and unlocked my cage. She tossed me some shorts and a T- shirt. " Get dressed. Gabriel's asking for the you," She said and walked away.

     When I reached the room Gabriel was in and saw him and almost cried. He was wrapped in bandages and the deeper wounds that would take a while to heal were stitched up and he was covered in sweat.

    " Tessa. Why didn't you tell.me what you were?"

    " I couldn't. I didn't think you would accept me or you would use me." Said running up and grabbing his hand.

     " We'll give you some privacy," Mr. Blackwood and they left the room. I turned and looked at Gabriel.

     " I'm sorry. I couldn't trust anyone. I was going to tell you but we were attacked," Tears began rolling down my cheeks. He reached up and wiped them away.

     " Tessa, I'm not mad, you had your reasons I even suspected you were a Guardian Wolf but wanted you to tell me yourself."

     ' It seems everyone suspected that' I thought to myself. I smiled and leaned over and kissed him. " I'm glad you're not mad. And right now you need to rest. You'll need your strength," I said as I got up and walked towards the door.

     " Tessa? Will you stay here?" He asked. I turned and saw him scoot over on the big bed. He winced a little but hid it quickly behind a smile. He patted the empty space beside him.

     I smiled. " I'll stay," I said as I walked over and layed down next to him. He put his arm around me and pulled me near him. I gently wrapped my arm around him and layed my head gently on his chest. I kept my head on his chest as his breathing leveled out and he began to slightly snore. I fell asleep listening to him and for the first time in a long time I felt safe and less pressure from the secrets I still had.