Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Pale's POV

I knocked on Pearl's door.

She opened it. It's been a long time since I've been in the town. And I've only been in Pearl's house once, and only for a second.

"Hi Pale," Pearl said. "Come on in, my mom and Pisces aren't home, I want to show you my room."

We swam up the stairs and took a right. Then we came to her room.

A small blue room with shells, sand and fishing line decorating it.

A small seaweed silk bed and a dresser lay in a corner.

"I know it's not as large as your room but it's good enough right," Pearl said.

I nodded.

"It's about the size of my room when I was on land," I said.

"Okay," Pearl said.

"So I was wondering," she said as she plopped on to her bed. "What did your dad want with you and Matthew? I know it has to do with queen stuff, but I want you to get into details."

I sat down on her bed next to her.

"Um...in the human world, people get married at 23 like...the earliest. Here, it's 16 and in order to be queen, I have to marry someone. My dad is letting me choose. I can choose a human, or a merman and he said let him know by tomorrow," I said.

That was pretty much it right?

It took a long time for Pearl to respond.

"Well, who do you want? Do you like any mermen?"

That was the part I forgot.

"I will be the first mermaid ruler and if I marry a mermen, he gets all the power. And besides, I don't like any mermen," I said.

"Then it's settled," Pearl said. "You marry a human."

Um Pearl, in case you haven't noticed, I have a fishtail? How am I going to get a guy to like me? Much less marry.

"Pearl, I have a fishtail and human's have legs. How is that going to work?" I asked.

"Simple," Pearl said. "The siren effect."

I cocked my head. "The siren effect?"

"Yeah. All sirens have it. When I guy sees you, he falls in love with you. Unfortunately, it only lasts a couple hours, but sometimes you grow on to the human," Pearl said.

I nodded. "Okay, that may work."

But then my heart dropped.

"But, how will I get a boy to look at me?" I asked.

"Simple," Pearl said. "Just save the boy from a shipwreck. You sing the storm song and then the luring sing, simple."

I nodded. "Okay."

Tomorrow, I'm going to tell dad about my choice, then Pearl will help me.

I had butterflies already, and I wasn't even near a fishing boat.