Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Pale's POV

I stared into his dreamy eyes. He was so perfect. I mean, he doesn't care who I am or what I look like, he just loves me.

I heard the door open.

My head jerked to the door.

"Brian? What are you doing with these creatures?" Pete asked. "And why are you helping them? They grow stronger in the water. We need them weak, that way we will get the answers out."

"Well dad," Brian hesitated, looking for an excuse. "I wasn't helping these monsters-"

I knew what I had to do, play along.

I hissed at him. And let me tell you, mermaids don't hiss, honestly, it was hard to hiss, I almost chocked on air.

Pete took his knife out of his pocket. "Your going to get stuff princess."

Pete became to march towards me, but Brian held him back.

"If you hurt her, she could die, and then all of your resources to the merworld will be cut off, you don't want that do you?" Brain said.

"Good call," Pete said putting his knife away. "But you better behave yourself mermaid."

"So as I was saying I wasn't helping these monsters, if we left them without water any longer their tails would have turned to dust and they would have died, and then your connection to the merpeople would once again, die," Brian said.

"Good point," Pete said. "Oh and I have your dinner."

Pete reached into a potato sack and pulled out two large fish that looked like mackerels.

He threw one at me and it landed beside me. He threw another one at Pearl and it hit her right in the face.

I glanced at Brian and he looked a bit mad, but he must be good at keeping his temper, because he didn't say anything.

Pearl cringed a little when it made contact with her.

"Yeah thanks," Pearl said whipping off her face with her hands.

"So I'll just leave you two alone for a while. Brian, come with me we have a big shipment to unload at the loading dock," Pete said.

"Ok," Brian said as he got up and slammed the door behind him. I heard another door slam and knew they must be gone.

"I hate this place," Pearl said crossing her arms. "I mean, they whacked me with fish!"

"It still beats wood from that Tsunami two years ago," I replied.

"At least they didn't do it to you, that would have been disrespectful," Pearl said.

"Yeah," I said. "You know, people keep on saying I don't have power on land, but I should. Queen Elizabeth of Britain would still have people respect her and she at least has some power in the USA. So why can't I have power on land?"

"Because, humans don't know mermaids exist," Pearl said.

"I think I'm going to make them notice me," I said.

Seems fair.

"No!" Pearl screamed. "You can't do that! You don't know what the humans will think!"

"I probably won't anyway," I said. "Let's just eat."

As usual, I ate the head and the tail because I have children, but I didn't have any children with me today.

Pearl still ate the inside.