𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 1

Keys quietly turned in the lock of the familiar house, barely making any noise as the door was softly swung open to reveal a (h/c)-haired woman as she looked in tentatively with a small, playful smile on her lips

Almost silently stepping in, bringing her suitcase to a stop beside her, she quietly shut the door behind her, cringing at the slight sound it made in the otherwise silent house.

It was the lack of noise that finally brought her to attention, causing her to knit her eyebrows together, furrowing them. Slipping off her shoes, she peered deeper into the house with a frown.

"Mom?" the woman called out. "Sayu? Light? Anyone home, or did my surprise just go to waste?"

When nobody answered her calls, she placed her hands on her hips, blowing a bit of hair away from her eyes. "Alright, so my surprise is not going as planned," she muttered to herself, turning to grab her suitcase once more, preparing to haul it up the stairs.

Unbeknownst to her, elsewhere in the city, two men were watching her through the secretly installed surveillance cameras in the Yagami household, and their reactions differed understandably.

Soichiro couldn't contain the surprise that came with seeing his oldest child drop in for an unannounced visit all the way from the other side of the Pacific. He smiled reflexively at the sight of her, fondness rushing through him as he watched her plans to surprise the family go to waste, glad that not everyone had drifted away from the familial roots even though (Y/N) was the one who had been living on another continent for the last six years.

"That is your eldest daughter, correct?" the man crouched in his unusual sitting position in the chair beside him asked, and Soichiro nodded in confirmation.

"(Y/N) lives in America," the older man added. "I didn't know she would visit."

Humming in acknowledgment, L didn't remove his gaze from the screen showing the woman enter her old room, smiling fondly at the familiar walls. "That much was evident. What does she do?"

The Chief glanced sideways at the man beside him, swallowing the discomfort that came with him watching his daughter, feeling particularly disconcerted since he guessed they were quite close in age. "She's a criminal profiler," he answered at last, and although he didn't show it outwardly, L's interest was spiked regarding the unassuming woman on screen.