𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 17

"Another nightmare," L stated, not looking away from the various monitor screens as she entered the main work room at the new Task Force HQ, her bare feet cold against the tiled floor while she crossed over to drop into the seat beside him

"Another nightmare," L stated, not looking away from the various monitor screens as she entered the main work room at the new Task Force HQ, her bare feet cold against the tiled floor while she crossed over to drop into the seat beside him. "Third night in a row."

She sighed, letting her head rest against the back of the chair and closing her eyes against the pounding in her cranium which was a consequence of all the sleep she was missing out on. "Yeah," she said. "It's probably the new work environment."

L hummed. "And stress from the case," he added, sparing her a sidelong glance. "Perhaps you require another week off?"

Shaking her head, (Y/n) refrained from yawning. "I was getting better until the shift in HQ," she spoke with a subtle frown. "Maybe I ought to visit my therapist soon."

"Maybe," L agreed, and then they were both quiet for a brief moment before he offered her a strawberry from the half-empty bowl sat between them on the table.

Smiling thinly, she popped one into her mouth, chewing on the fruit thoughtfully while she eyed the information flitting across one of the monitors, the light only adding to the sting in her eyes. "Doesn't it bother you?" she asked. "I mean, I'm no stranger to late nights, but I don't think I've ever seen you sleep."

L turned to her, blinking blankly, the dark circles under his eyes suddenly a lot more prominent. "My body has become accustomed to less sleep to accommodate my work," he replied simply, making her eyebrows rise up.

"That can't be healthy," she muttered, pulling her feet up and tucking her arms closer to herself. "Regardless of how used to it you may be, at the end of the day, you are just as mortal as the rest of us, and that means that, eventually, you need to sleep too."

Pausing for a moment, L turned to her owlishly, taking in her expectantly raised eyebrows with empty eyes. "I'm touched by your concern, (Y/n)," he admitted at last in a contradicting monotone, and she rolled her eyes because of course, that's what he focuses on.

"Don't get too emotional about it," she muttered, exhaling sharply through her nose as she looked away from him to examine the screen which showed a sleeping Light tucked away in his room-- his state of unconsciousness being the only time he wasn't chained to L. By the time he'd wake up the next morning, the restraints would already be in place again.