𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 8

Something had changed

She didn't know if anyone else on the Task Force had noticed, but she could feel the unsettling shift in her dynamics with L. It was subtle, yes, but still present, and always lingering at the back of her mind while she tried to finish her work.

As her luck would have it, L had finally called her out on simultaneously carrying out her work from the BAU. Now, in such a situation, most people would apologize and put an end to that practice, but given that she rather fancied the idea of maybe inconveniencing L, (Y/n) had taken to doing it more openly.

Pausing in her typing up yet another ghastly boring report on her laptop, she frowned while trying to ignore her father's disapproving stare and L's infrequent blank ones. Honestly, the whole constantly keeping up her manners thing was beginning to get on her nerves. Back in the States, nobody seemed to care long enough to keep up the fake polite appearances as long as it wasn't absolutely necessary, or as far as she could tell. Perhaps it was just the consistently fast-paced life of an agent that had worn down on the nerves of the people she tended to surround herself with, thereby wearing away with their patience to seem polite.

The dark-haired detective who had been stubbornly occupying much of her time as of late was currently sat before the TV screen, a box of doughnuts sat open on the table before him while he waited for the device to process the tape he'd had Watari pop in only moments ago.

Feeling her patience run thin, she saved the unfinished file and promptly shut down her laptop, deciding that she needed a coffee if she was expected to be helpful and cordial for the remainder of her time at HQ for the day.

"Would anyone else like a cup of coffee?" she spoke up, rising from her seat on a sofa and rolling her shoulders in an effort to release some of the tension in them.

Aizawa declined politely, her father following suit with a brief shake of his head, both the older men looking too preoccupied to be bothered with anything else.

"If it's not too much trouble." Matsuda looked up sheepishly, his smile small given his own exhaustion. When (Y/n) assured him with a kind smile that it was no hassle at all, he shot her a relieved look, silently giving his thanks to the young woman.