8 Second Date

"Pizza sounds great." I went to the kitchen to grab the menus.

I was still trembling a bit, being that raw and that open was never easy. I sat for a moment and went to find her in her kitchen. "Do you really want to get out?"

If I was being honest, I really did. I nodded at him. "I do."

"Okay." I took the menus from her hands and set them on the counter. "How about this," I was smiling so hard it was difficult to talk, "you go and take a shower. I'll go home shower and get changed and come back to get you and we can have our second date at the pizza joint of your choice?"

I smiled. "I really like that idea." I hugged him and pulled back and kissed him. I headed off to shower.

"Hey." I held her hand as she tried to slip away. "I'm gonna go. I'll be back for you shortly. I'll text you when I leave my place." I leaned in and stole another kiss then followed her so I could change into my own clothes before leaving. "I'll be right back." I kissed her cheek and headed for the door.

I was over the moon. I took my time taking my shower and getting ready. I left my hair down and put on a casual, flowered, sundress and a pair of white sneakers and no jewelry. I checked my phone and saw that I had a few messages. One of them was my mom asking about my travel plans for going out to see them. The other was my editor informing me that he needed me to make a quick trip to Santa Barbara tomorrow for an interview that his other writer had to cancel on. I called him back and found out what the travel arrangements would be. It wasn't even overnight, but it had me leaving early in the morning and getting home really late at night. He was doubling my commission for doing it last minute. I couldn't turn it down. I was just hanging up with him when Avi got back. He had texted, but I was on the phone.

I went home showered and changed. It was a nice warm day, so I threw on a pair of clean shorts and a lightweight white button down and my boat shoes. I left my hair down, text Lizzie and headed back to her place to pick her up for lunch.

He rang the doorbell. I answered the door with a smile. He looked so fresh and clean. I let him in so I could grab my purse.

"I stopped for gas, so where are we going?"

"Not far. There's a place maybe four blocks away. The owner is from Chicago and he makes a pretty decent deep dish. It's called Eddie's." I locked the door and let him lead me to the car. "You look very, very, nice by the way."

"Look at you! Such a pretty dress." I flipped her hair gently as she went to get in the car and smiled mischievously when she turned towards me. I tilted my head and raise a brow indicating that she should get in the car.

I smiled back at him and climbed into the car. I buckled my seatbelt while he shut the door and climbed into the car himself.

We got to the cute little restaurant and I escorted her in. We were seated rather quickly. The place was honestly busy for a weekday afternoon. We were seated in a section of the restaurant that didn't afford any privacy. I felt several sets of eyes on me and heard my name whispered once or twice. I waited until she was seated to slide into the booth across the table from her. I wanted to hold both her hands but I hadn't gauged the room yet.

He was on edge as he glanced around the room. His posture was tense. He sat down but didn't reach for either of my hands. I leaned close and whispered. "Are you okay?"

"Yes. I heard my name. It makes me a little nervous. I never know anymore how bold someone will be. I've actually gotten yelled at, cried on, damn near molested and trapped in a few corners by bolder, maybe crazier fans, but most are extremely nice and very polite. I'm sorry."