5 Date Night

I took myself off to bed and slept soundly through the night. I woke up with butterflies in my tummy. I got out of bed and went through the closet trying to figure out what I was going to wear. I had no idea what to do with my hair or what jewelry to wear. I looked at the clock. I had several hours to figure it out. Get ahold of yourself Liz. It's just a date, right? I decided to go for a light jog to clear my mind. But I sent Avi a quick text.

I hope your drive home was pleasant. I woke up happy and excited. Can't wait to see you tonight. <3 Lizzie

I headed off on my jog feeling very excited.

I woke up to the sweet sound of birds chirping and the smell of flowers and dew, covered by one of the heavy blankets from the couch and my Dad sitting in the other chair, a steaming cup of tea beside me. Used to waking up alone, I startled. "Your phone made noise. Workout this morning?"

Maybe a light run. I have a date tonight. I want to be able to move my arms so I can hug her"

"Is this the girl you were talking about yesterday? The fan?"

"Her name is Lizzie Dad. It's not like that." I showed him the one tweet she sent that referenced me. "We've been talking for two-three days and this is all there is."

"That is not new."

"Dad! She's not her. She's a very different kind of person."

"She's a fan, Avi. Regardless you need to guard your heart and protect hers. She is invested in you."

"What if she doesn't like me back." I sounded like a boy going out on his first date. "I really like her. Dad."

"I can tell. If she doesn't she doesn't. Just be you. Be honest and true to who you are. You cannot be anyone else," he hugged me tightly, patted my back, "You got this son. I love you," and went back inside.

I got tea while I was out on my jog and walked slowly home. I stopped along the way and got a manicure/pedicure. I got home, ate lunch and took a nap. When I woke up it was just after 3 pm. I was antsy and nervous and I had not heard back from Avi. I didn't realize that I had expected to. What if the chemistry just isn't there? What if I like him more than he likes me? Oh goodness, I needed time to go by quicker.

I looked at my phone and saw the wonderful morning message from Lizzie. I typed out a response, just as I was about to hit send, I was interrupted by my mother. "Hi, mMmma." I got up and hugged her.

"You have a date tonight?"

"Yes."

"With Lizzie I take it."

"Of course, Momma."

"Are you ready to date again?"

"I'm scared," I said honestly. "I feel like she's a very special girl and I don't want to ruin things."

"Be you, baby. The sweet, kind caring, vulnerable sensitive, patient you."

"But,"

"Just trust me. You are a special boy."

"Oh Momma, you're just biased."

"I don't think so. You'll be fine. Just be who you are."

"What if she doesn't like me the way I am?"

"Tough for her. She'll accept you as you are or she will have to do without you. You've already been through this heartache, Avriel. Do not put yourself through it again." My mom patted me on the back. "Drink your tea. Rest a while longer and go for a run with your dad." I agreed and helped her in the house. I was chewing my lip when my brother called. I missed my run with Dad and had to go on my own. I showered and headed home. I looked at my phone. The light was blinking. Fuck! You idiot. You never hit send.