Chapter 10

During freetime, Michael went to the pool with Audrey. She had been blabbering on and on about herself and her career since they left rec time. "And my fans are the absolute best. They worship me, and they absolutely should." Audrey said as they sat on the bench. "Every show I do, they're always lined up to get in. My shows are always sold out and rightfully so. My shows are the most anticipated of any artist of the times."

"Yeah, that's great." Michael said, not really listening. He was too busy watching Aspen help a couple kids with their guitar skills.

"They once did a fan project that really blew me away. Every single fan in the audience had roses that they threw onstage when I was done with my 7th encore." She smiled. "I usually only do five, but that was a special show for me."

"Yeah, do you think Aspen likes me?" Michael asked, keeping his eyes on Aspen.

"Why do you care? Why do you like her?" Audrey asked, rolling her eyes.

"She's so down to earth. She's probably the most normal celebrity I've ever met. She doesn't let the fame get to her and she never takes this for granted. She's been through so much, but she's still so soft and compassionate. She helps these kids so much and she'd do it every day of her life, if she could. She's beautiful and funny and she's everything anyone could ever want." Michael sighed happily, watching her laugh with the kids.

"You know about our rivalry, don't you?" Audrey asked.

"I only know you have one. I don't know why or how it started." Michael said, finally looking at her. She smirked to herself, thinking she finally knew how to drive a wedge between them.

"I'll tell you what happened then." Audrey said, flipping her hair over her shoulder. "We were best friends in middle school. We came to this camp together every summer and we always had a blast. One summer, we decided to form a band. We spent forever writing sings together and recording them for demos. In, like, sophomore year of high school we sent our demos out. We got a call from one label, but they said they wanted solo artists and not a group. We decided that we didn't want the group to break up because of it, but she went behind my back and got signed with them. Then, to make matters worse, she stole every song we wrote. She claimed all the credit on every song, even the ones I wrote. When I sent my individual demos to record labels, they wouldn't sign me because I didn't have any songs to license right away."

"She did that?" Michael asked, furrowing his eyebrows. "That doesn't sound anything like Aspen."

"She wasn't the songwriter in our group. She could hardly come up with anything. I did all the work and she took credit for everything. She hires people to write her songs now, because she doesn't have me anymore." Audrey sighed. "She was always jealous of my talents. She used to tell me all the time how jealous she was. She'd always tell me she wished she could be more like me. Maybe if she were, she'd be a better artist. The honest kind, not how she actually is. Her whole career is basically a lie. She was almost caught lip syncing at Madison Square Garden."

"How did I not see this before?" Michael sighed. He felt as though his heart was in his stomach. He wanted so badly for it to be false, but the more Audrey talked, the more he questioned everything. "I can't believe I fell for it. How could I be so stupid?"

"That's just what she does. She's a manipulator. She makes sure everyone thinks I'm the bad guy, but I'm the victim. I could be the biggest name in pop music, instead I'm second best. Second best is only the first loser, if you think about it. She basically stole my career from me." Audrey shook her head. "She's a wolf in sheep's clothing."

"I can't believe she'd do that to you. She was supposed to be your friend." Michael sighed. "I wish I had seen it sooner.."

"It's alright, Mikey. She pulls you in with all the lies about her parents and grandparents, she makes you pity her."

"What lies?" Michael asked, looking at her.

"She never had a brother that died. If you ask Carter, Caleb, or Caden none of them say anything. They just look confused, because this brother never existed. Her mom is a drunk, but it's because she has a pathological liar for a daughter. Her dad never had an affair, that was a lie she told her mom to get attention. Her dad left because her mom refused to believe him when he said he didn't cheat." Audrey explained. "Her grandparents were wheat farmers and never had the camp. They tried to sell it, but her parents got so angry they kicked her grandparents out. They had to become wheat farmers to make a living."

"This is insane. She really lied about everything we talked about.." Michael put his face in his hands. "I'm the biggest idiot in the world."

"No, you're not. Anyone can be blinded by her lies. She's done it to everyone here." Audrey rubbed his back. "It's not your fault, she targets people."

"I can't believe I slept with her.." Michael sighed. "She used me."

"I'm so sorry, Mike." Audrey sighed, hugging him. A smirk tugged at her lips as Michael hugged her, the wedge finally driving them apart.