Chapter 20

The end of summer had arrived. The kids were all gone and the camp was quiet, the only sounds to be heard were the birds chirping in the trees. Aspen and Carly packed their bags in silence, a somber tension in the air. "I can't believe this summer is over already." Carly spoke, breaking the silence.

"You're coming back next summer, right?" Aspen asked, zipping her suitcase.

"Of course, I'm coming back next summer. What would I do without you for a whole summer." Carly smiled at her.

"Shut up, I'm gonna start crying." Aspen giggled. "Let's get together before next summer, too. We can be each other's dates to the country music awards."

"Oh, I kind of already invited Luke to that.." Carly said, biting her lip.

"What are you guys gonna do? Are you staying a couple?" Aspen asked, sitting on her empty bed.

"We're going to try it out. We're just going to take it one day at a time, you know? Whatever happens, happens." She shrugged and zipped her suitcase. "We'll both be touring part of the year between summers, but some of our shows overlap, so we'll see each other."

"That sounds nice. I'm really happy you finally found someone. Maybe you'll stop writing those awful breakup songs." Aspen joked.

"Yeah, maybe you'll stop singing them at the top of your lungs in the car." Carly laughed. "What about you? Are you and Michael going to try being a couple?"

"I don't actually know.. We haven't talked about it at all yet." Aspen sighed. "I'm hesitant to start something. Especially with Audrey's ability to ruin my life."

"You guys should talk at the bonfire tonight. Audrey isn't staying, neither are her demons." Carly said.

"Yeah, I guess. I'm glad only a few of us are staying." Aspen smiled. "Tonight's gonna be the most lit we've ever gotten."

"How much alcohol did you pick up yesterday?" Carly asked.

"I got so much, you have no idea. I got the good hard stuff, and some 5% fruity goodness. I got some beer for the idiots of All Time Low that think beer is manly." Aspen laughed a little.

"I'm so excited. We don't get chances to do this often enough. Especially when Audrey's here. You never know what she's gonna say or do when she's drunk." Carly shook her head. "Who's all staying?"

"I think it's us, All Time Low, and 5SOS. Cher might be staying too, but she also might be going to see family for the remaining part of summer." Aspen said.

"Little Mix aren't staying?" Carly asked.

"No, they have a tour to go on almost immediately." Aspen explained. "Anyways, we need to go help clean up the chapel. Things have to be ready for the winter camps. Carter gets even more uptight when things aren't ready." Aspen rolled her eyes and got up. Carly followed her out of the cabin.

"Hey, are you guys ready to clean shit no one cares about?" Alex grinned at them.

"I'm ready to convince Carter to let us use the sound system for some jams while we clean." Aspen smiled.

"Ooh, good luck. Last year, he was not happy with the idea." Jack laughed, picking her up and slinging her over his shoulder.

"Hey, put me down!" Aspen squealed, kicking her legs.

"You've got a hurt ankle, I'm helping out." Jack smirked.

"My ankle is mostly healed, I can walk on my own." Aspen rolled her eyes.

"Just let him be helpful for something." Zack laughed.

"Aspen, he's being mean to me." Jack whined.