Chapter 9

I couldn't breathe. It couldn't be. i felt my knees buckling and felt the sharp pain as my knees hit the floor. My heart raced, and my hand hovered over my heart. Tears came to my mind as memories threatened to overwhelm me. 

"Shhh, it's okay," a voice murmured in my ear. I felt arms come around me from behind which started to rock me back and forth. Two large hands held mine in tight grips. Their voices became my tether to come back from the brink of disaster.

My vision cleared and three pairs of eyes watched me carefully. There were tears in their eyes and concern and fear. Fear that I would lose myself and won't be able to come back to them. "Why? Why won't he leave me alone?"

Dr. Roberts pulled me into a hug.My tears stained his blue shirt but he didn't make a move to push me away. A drop of water fell onto my forehead. Glancing up, I saw the tears streaming down the face of the man who I considered a father. Caiden and Jax had tears running down their faces. They were the ones who helped me all those years ago, piecing me back together. 

"Gwaenchanh-eulgeoya, pinigseu (It'll be okay,  Pheonix) ." Jax whispered in Korean. " Ganghae jyeola. gwageoga dangsin-eul tongjehagehaji masibsio. ulineun hangsang dangsin-eul wihae yeogiiss-eul geos-ibnida.(Be strong. Do not let the past control you. We will always be here for you.)"

I nodded, letting his words surround me. He was right. I should not let the past rule over me. Volto should be locked away, away from doing harm to any other girls in the world. And I was going to put him away, even if it destroys me. 

The others saw the change in my eyes and I saw their eyes harden with determination. I knew that they would help me. Dr. Roberts chuckled. "That's my girl. I've got more news for you. Ever since Volto disappeared two years ago, I've had the top two teams on the Eastern border search for him. They haven't found much but we have received new information. There is a big possibility that Volto is involved with drug dealing, money laundering, and other acts at a local high school. I know how much Volto means to you so I'm offering you and your team the choice to work on the mission."

 "Will we be the only team on this mission?"

Dr. Robert shook his head. "No. Our friends, the Toma Team, will be taking the mission."

I looked at my teammates. Without a word spoken, we saw the answer in each other's gaze. I turned back towards Dr. Roberts."The Phantom Team accepts."