Chapter 10

I looked at the person in the mirror. A pair of blue eyes stared back at me. Strands of black hair fell across my shoulder and wispy bangs framed my face. A pair of black framed glasses perched on my nose.  A light pink painted my cheeks and lips. I looked at myself in wonder at the new transformation. I couldn't believe that this could be done within an hour.

"So, rookie, what do you think?" A female said behind me. I glanced in the mirror at my makeup artist. Chestnut colored hair flowed down her back like a waterfall. Clear blue eyes looked at me, waiting for her answer. She was taller than me, but to be honest, everyone is taller than me. She was thin but still had curves to her body. Next to her, I looked like a preteen. 

"Oh, Jasmine, I can't say. It's beautiful." I said honestly to one of my oldest friends. Jasmine Royer. She was the first Academy bird to befriend me.  I remember her boldly introducing herself at my introduction meeting. She was the first and probably the only girl that didn't try to befriend me to get to the guys.

 "Of course, it is. I have the amazing and beautiful Ghostbird. I can't believe you're back." She squealed before pulling me into a hug. The smell of lavender tickled my nose, making me sneeze. "Okay. So I am giving you the temporary hair dye, you will have to apply it every so often because it will wash out. I just love your hair. I am glad that the dye didn't just color your hair one shade. With all your shades of blonde, brown , and reds your hair looks totally natural. The contacts might irritate your eyes. Here is a bottle of eye drops."

I placed the hair dye on the table but dropped the eye drops into my bag. "So how are things? Have you found another team?" I said as I remember the last time I saw her. It was last year and she had left her team due to some conflicting interests among the girls.  

She smiled shyly. "I have my eyes set on a team. They have a lot of members but I've been talking of some of them. I've worked with them for a few missions and some of us connected. Hopefully they will accept me."

I smiled at my friend. "I'm glad for you. I hope you do get the position."

"Thanks." She fidgeted for a moment before she opened her mouth. "James has been asking about you."

I froze. James was Mr. Goggin's  son and Jasmine's stepbrother. He was a few years older than Jasmine, who was twenty. He was nice to me but I could not feel totally comfortable around him.

"Um, what-" I was interrupted when the door to my room burst open. Caiden and Jax entered, coming to stand behind us. 

"I should be the one to do the mission," Caiden's Irish accent was heavy, a telltale sign when he was aggravated, angry, or emotional. He crossed his arms, seeming to pout.

Jax sighed a warily looked at us. He looked at Jasmine with a look an apologetic gaze. "Jasmine, do you think you could give us privacy?"

Jasmine looked at us with confusion before nodding. Turning back to me, she gave me a small hug. "I got to go anyway. Call me. We have a lot to catch up on."

I watched as she left the room, closing the door. A few minutes later, we  heard the front door slam shut. Turning around, I frowned at my teammates. "What's wrong?"

Caiden matched my frown. "I think that this is dangerous. I should be the one that should go. Not you."

"Cade, this part of the mission is only following the Ashley Water's principal around and taking pictures. It's not going to be that dangerous, and members of the Toma team will be around if needed." I said as I shouldered my handbag which held my camera and my new ID. 

Jax laid a hand on Caiden's arm and whispered something to him. As he was speaking to him, I saw Cade relax. He nodded solemnly and wrapped me in his arms. "I'm sorry, laoch beag. I am just worried for you."

I rubbed his back. "I know. I'll be careful, and I'll text you periodically." Leaning back, I looked at Jax. I waved him over. With a look of happiness, he ran over, hugging all of us. 

**************************************************************

I hated the mall, especially on Saturdays. The one place the Principal Hendricks had to go to was the mall. I had followed him for five hours. From the grocery store to a coffee shop to the mall, I followed him.

The crowd pressed into me. I wanted to get out of here but I had the mission. As I passed a group of guys, I heard one of them whistle. I turned my head to connect with murky brown eyes. He was around my age, buthonestly, he was ugly. Shaggy, greasy brown hair reached his shoulders, reminding me of a creepy Shaggy from the Scooby-doo cartoons. He had thin lips and a goatee. 

When he saw me looking at him, he winked. "Hey, girl." He and his cronies laughed. Rolling my eyes, I started to walk away. With a glance behind me, I noticed that he and a few of his friends were following me.Looking forward, I scanned the crowd, panicked when I didn't see Principal Hendricks. I quickened my pace, dodging people. 

I headed for the exit. When I passed a hallway, a hand grabbed my arm, pulling me into the hallway. The smell of cigarette and sweat bombarded me as I was pushed against the wall. A scratchy voice spoke, making me want to rub my ears. "What's your name?"

I looked up into beady brown eyes. "I'm sorry, but I' not interested."

His hand gripping my arm tightened. I hissed in pain and tried to tug my arm back to no avail. His eyes darkened and a creepy smile came to his face. He pushed himself against me. "So you like pain, maybe some kinky things. I could give you one hell of a time."

He leaned forward, intending to kiss me. I struggled against him, but his grip tightened more. Before his lips could touch mine, he was suddenly yanked back. But since he was holding tightly onto me, I was jerked forward. As I fell, I tried to correct myself, but when my foot connected with the ground, a burst of pain went through my ankle. Before I could hit the ground, a pair of arms caught me.

I sighed in relief but stopped when the scent of Irish soap came from the man holding me. "Ma'am, are you alright?"

Raising my head slowly, I sucked in a breath as I stared into grey eyes.