Chapter 3

It was freezing. My knees were sore against the hard ground, and the rice bit into my skin. The back were sore from the beating from the broom stick my stepmother had administrated. A figure appeared in front of my vision and I looked up into cold brown eyes.

"Little whore, I should have known that sending you to public school was a mistake. Did you open your legs to that boy? Boys will take advantage of you and rape you. In the news, a girl was playing in her front yard and two men decided to take advantage of her. Her body was found in a ditch." My stepmother was pacing back and forth in front of me.

I looked at the floor. "I'm sorry," I whispered,

The feet froze in front of me. "Did I say you could speak, bitch? You better learn quick before the man comes tomorrow."

I looked up at her in alarm and confusion. She laughed manically at the emotions showing on my face. "Your father," she spit the word out hatefully, "and I have decided that we do not want you anymore. A man has offered a nice amount for you. "

I whimpered. "Please, don't. I'll do anything."

She laughed, disappearing into the kitchen. When she came back, she grabbed my hair, pulling my head back. In her hand was a glass with an odd- colored liquid. She pushed the glass to my lips harshly, and I felt my lip break. The concoction of lemon juice and vinegar mixed with my blood burned my throat as it went down. When all the liquid was gone, she let go of me. I collapsed forward, coughing and breathing heavily. Tears streamed down my face.

The laughter of my family surrounded me. The two female voices taunted me, calling me weak, ugly, and filthy names. My father looked onto the scene and walked away. Nobody wanted me, even my own father did not want me. Who'd want to have a girl like me, broken and ugly?

"Sang."

I heard new voices call my name. They were unfamiliar and soon faded under the laughter of my family. I heard my name again bit louder. The voices could be heard above the commotion and I felt my sore body being shaken. "Sang, come back to us."

I gasped as I woke. Two figures stood above me and I whimpered, tugging the sheets up to my chin. "Sang?" One of the figures moved in the dark, turning on the lamp. My body relaxed when I saw Owen and Sean looking at me with concern. "Sang, are you okay?"

I blinked at them. Why would they be in my room? They must have seen the question in my face when Sean stepped forward. "I heard you whimpering. I didn't want to disturb you but I got worried. I woke Owen and we saw you thrashing and crying."

I felt my face which was wet. I did not notice it until they pointed it out. "I'm sorry I woke you."

Owen stepped forward. "It's okay. Was it a nightmare?"

I nodded. "It was."

He nodded. "If you are okay, please excuse us for barging into your room without your permission."

I smiled, easing their worrying. "Thank you and forgive me for interrupting your sleep."

Sean rocked on his feet. "No problem, Pookie. I think that Owen and I will leave you to sleep."

As they started to walk away, fear of them leaving me made my heart almost stop. I sat up in bed. "Wait." They stopped and turned back towards me. With them looking at me, my throat became dry and did not want to work.

"Ms. Sorenson, are you okay?" I nodded and swallowed my fear of rejection.

"Can both of you stay with me?" They seemed taken back before nodding. They started to walk over to the chairs in my room, but when I patted the bed, they took a seat at the end of the bed.