Chapter 12

Hey guys, last update for a while. Hope you guys enjoy

I limped up the stairs, ignoring the pain in my foot. Throwing the door open, I walked into my apartment. "Jax!"

Something thumped in the kitchen, followed by loud cursing. Following the sounds, I came upon Caiden, jumping around with his right foot in his hand. Jax was running around with a knife in his hand. Looking at Jax, I noticed that he was trying to get the watermelon that was currently rolling around the floor. When I appeared in  the doorway, Jax straightened and smiled, wiping a hand, the one that was not holding the knife, across his forehead. "Oh, hey, Sang. Why are you limping?"

I blinked. "I sprained my ankle. Why is the Blackbourne Team taking the job? I thought that the Toma team was taking the job."

Jax led me to a chair while Caiden grabbed a bag of peas. Gently laying it down on my swollen foot, Caiden started to speak. "The Toma team was offered another job. They said that they would not have done what they did if they did not have a good explanation. Axel said that he would explain when he sees you again."

Jax set a bowl of watermelon in front of me. "Why do you not like the Blackbourne Team?"

I sighed, taking a bite of the sweet fruit. "I don't hate them. I just want to avoid the two older members of that team."

Jax patted my hand. "Sang, you do not tell us much of your past. We know that you have a past with them but what happened to make you want to avoid them?"

I looked at my shirt. Fingering a strand off thread, I warred with myself if I should share my past. My past was only mine to share. I knew that if they searched, they would find only a few who would know. The three of us had been a team for three years. We have experienced things that no other teams should.  I know that if I shared my past with them, they would not betray me. 

"I came from a really bad past. My father rarely looked at me. My stepmother abused me. I remember the first time she hit me. I was playing with my sister Marie when my parents came back from a doctor's appointment. She was furious. She stomped to where I was on the floor and slapped me on my cheek. The bruise on my cheek was there for a week. After that, my stepsister hated me, smiling when our mother punished me. A few years after she started, she sold me to some man. But that man was Phil Roberts. He helped me, introducing me to the Academy and two young boys. The two boys and I grew closer to each other, becoming inseparable. 

"A year after I was saved, I was approached with a mission that could solve a large debt that one of us had accumulated. I took it. When I was on the mission, we would send letters to each other. I had been on the mission for a few months when the letters stopped. I would write them but I would not get a letter in return. A few months after the letters stopped coming, I received  a letter from them. I was so excited until I read this letter." I pulled the letter from my bag. I watched them as they unfolded the paper and read. Expressions of disbelief and anger came over their faced. "They didn't want me anymore. Since then I avoided them, only coming home for short amounts of time. I was keeping their wishes until now."

Jax squeezed my hand. "I don't understand. Why would they suddenly act like this?"

I shrugged, feeling the familiar pang of loneliness and hurt in my chest. "Who knows?"

thanks guys for voting and commenting. Sadly this will be my last update before I go on my trip. wish me luck and i'll see  you all in August!! :)