Chapter 8

Blu led Calypso down the narrow alley to the right of Deca Tower. She didn't think that anything was back here. It looked liked a dead end, like most areas surrounding the square.

Blu walked up he steps to a building with a tall red gate and behind it a black steel door.

Calypso looked to the right, to what looked like the entrance to a subway system.  It was closed off, and looked dark and abandoned.

"What's down there?" asked Calypso, and she pointed down at the abandoned tunnel.

Blu looked over to where Calypso pointed.

"I'm not sure anyone really knows," said Blue. "A few inklings went down and tried to explore it once. They never came back.  There is a rumor though that someone in Inkopolis is from down there, but I don't know if I believe that."

Calypso stares down at the mysterious tunnel and turned back to Blu, who was still standing by the red metal gate.

"Watch this." he said as he placed his hand on one of the bricks next to the gate.

Calypso gasped in amazement. As soon as Blu placed his hand on the brick, it lit up with a beautiful blue light, and scanned his hand. The gate lifted up and the steel door lowered into the ground.

Blu beckoned for Calypso to follow, and she did. They walked into a cobblestone tunnel, with the pathway illuminate by glowing blue stones carved into the path.

"Isn't it beautiful? They're bioluminescent stone." he said as he admired the rocks.

"They're amazing! Is this a secret tunnel?" asked Calypso.

"The way to The Village isn't common knowledge, but it's not what you would call a tight-lipped secret." Blu explained. "If other inklings find out, it's no big deal. They won't be able to get in unless they've been verified into a clan, or are a guest. Like you." Calypso smiled when he said the last part.

The tunnel wasn't very long, and it only took a minute or so until they approached a large wooden door. Blu grabbed the handle and pushed it open.

When Calypso walked through, she was astonished. This place was much different than the typical industrial aesthetic that most of Inkopolis had.

The place was like a big and beautiful garden. The stone pathway lead to the center of The Village, where a giant fountain stood.

The fountain had a statue of a squid jumping upwards, with ink trailing behind.  The water that flowed from it was beautiful and clear.

The pathway then split off into 7 separate pathways, each leading to a large mansion, each with its own unique design.

"I can't believe you live here! It's wonderful!" Calypso exclaimed. She didn't have many memories, but this would by far be her favorite.

The trees towered above her, and flowers decorated the area. If everything looked so beautiful at night, she couldn't wait to see what it looked like in the day.

"Come on, I'll take you my clan's mansion." said Blu.

They walked forward and past the fountain to the mansion just left of the one in the middle.

It was made out of darker stones, with shades of greys and blacks. The flowers that decorated the lawn were shades of red, yellow, and orange, and were sharp and jagged, making them look like flames, and the dark mansion being the coals.

Blu made a slight bow, and gestured towards the mansion.

"Welcome to the Dauntlings, Calypso. I hope you enjoy your stay."

-------------