Chapter 9

Calypso followed Blu through the grand doors into the Dauntlings' Mansion. They walked into a large entrance with a grand staircase splitting to either sides of the room.

The most impressive thing was not the stairs, but the ink rails that lined the walls. They traveled from the ground to the top of the stairs, and also to other tunnels up on the wall that couldn't be reached unless ridden on the ink rails.

"This place is amazing." Calypso said as she stared up at the system of ink-rails above her.

"Just wait till you see the rest of it. This is only the entrance." Blu laughed.

They walked through the archway straight ahead that was under the stairs, into an even larger room. Just like the previous room, there were ink-rails everywhere, lining the walls and once they got higher eventually spanning out into a network of ink-rails.

There were inklings riding on them in and out of the tunnels, all going someplace different. Some seemed to be doing stunts and jumping to different ink-rails and shooting targets on the walls.

On the ground, there was much less action. There were lots of couches and beanbags with inklings just talking. Some looked over and eyed her a little, but most payed her no attention.

"This is the main room," Blu said, spinning around and admiring it as if it was all knew to him. "The ink-rails can take you just about anywhere in the Mansion."

Calypso admired all of it, wondering how long it took to build such a magnificent place.

"Come on, let's grab something to eat." said Blue.

——————————-

Calypso followed Blu on an ink-rail that lead to the kitchen. The kitchen was also fairly big, like most rooms probably were in the mansion.

The kitchen seemed almost like a cafeteria, but much nicer. She saw several jellies and a few creatures that looked like Crusty Sean cooking food.

Inklings walked back and forth to get food, sitting at tables talking. Calypso began to noticed that most inklings at the Dauntlings' Mansion wore darker shades of colors. It made them seem tough and daring, which fit their name.

"We tried to get Crusty Sean to work here, but he wouldn't let us keep him to ourselves," said Blu as he walked to the counter of food. "The food isn't as good as his, but it's pretty close."

Calypso looked at the wide selection of food and drinks. Blu walked up next to her and grabbed some food.

"Are you gonna get something, or are you just gonna stare at it all with your mouth half open?" Blu said with a smirk.

Calypso quickly clenched her jaw shut. She could feel her cheeks turning red.

Blu and Calypso sat down at one of the tables and began to eat. For Calypso, this was her first memory of eating food. She could hardly contain herself, and she tried not to shove it all down at once.

Blu just sat across from her, watching Calypso devour her plate of food with a blank stare.

"Wow. You are really hungry." Blu said with a laugh.

"I haven't eaten anything since waking up this morning, and who knows the last time I ate before that?" Calypso said unapologetically.

Blu laughed. "You've got a point."

"Anyways, how did you join the Dauntlings?" asked Calypso.

"It took me about a year to make it to the Village and be accepted by the Dauntlings. It usually takes others a lot longer to get into a clan in The Village. You've gotta prove yourself by either leveling up or getting high ranks in Ranked battles. Some inklings apply to take a test of skill and skip leveling and ranking up. Very few try, let alone pass." said Blu as he munched on something crunchy.

"How did you qualify?" asked Calypso.

"I ranked up to S+ in Clam Blitz and Tower Control, and got A+ in Splat Zones and Rainmaker." explained Blu.

Calypso looked at him with a blank stare.

"I have no idea what those are." Calypso said, and laughed.

Blue laughed too. "So, basically for Clam Blitz, you wanna throw as many clams in the enemy's team as you can, Tower Control you want to control the tower and ride it to the checkpoints,  Splat Zones is like turf war but for a small section of turf, and Rainmaker you wanna get the Rainmaker to the enemy's podium." Blu explained. 

"I see... I think I can remember all that." Calypso lies. What the crabcake is a Rainmaker?

As they were talking, Calypso noticed an inkling enter the kitchen through one of the rails. His hair was short on the sides and long on top, with the color black at the roots and the tips different shades of red, orange, and yellow, like fire. He wore fresh and dark clothes, like the majority of the Dauntlings.

"Who's that?" asked Calypso as she pointed over at the Inkling.

"Who?" Blu said as he turned to look in the direction where Calypso was pointing.

"Aw, shellfish! Get under the table now!" Blu said, and he turned his body to try and block Calypso.

"Why? What's wrong?" asked Calypso.

"Just get down! Please!" he said and shoved Calyspo head down.

Calypso was slightly annoyed, but she did as Blu asked.

"What's going on?" Calypso whispered to Blu.

"Shhhhh! I don't want him to know your here! No offense, but you're not fresh, and he wouldn't be too happy with me. I'm already not on his good side anymore." said Blu.

Calypso leaner against the bench and slumped under the table. She really needed to do some more battles and get to level 4. She was starting to feel like a second class citizen.

She saw footsteps approaching the table she was under. It must be Blaze.

"Blu, there you are. I've been looking for you.  I should've known you'd be in the kitchen." said Blaze. His voice was smooth, and it almost seemed welcoming and kind except for the slight mocking tone to it.

Blu was silent.

"Listen, I know you've been bitter ever since you were removed from the Council, but I just wanted you to know that you're still valued member of this clan. I want to apologize for our disagreement, and I would love to have you back on the council, that is, if you've come to see the error of your ways." Blaze said.

What was this guy talking about?

Calypso waited for Blaze's response, but Blu said nothing.

Blaze sighed. "I'll give you some time to think about it. The offer still stands, and if you change your mind, you know where to find me."

Calypso watched Blaze's feet as he walked away. His shoes were pretty fresh.

Blu ducked under the table. "Come on, he's gone. I guess I've got some explaining to do."