Chapter 2: Twilight Sun

Three Years Earlier...

After the incident at the lake, Tom was putting away his harpoons. It was then, he found Tord trying to pick lock his door open. It wasn't an issue for Tord to return and live with the gang again. It was an issue when Edd force Tom to give up his room after turning Tom's old room into a pool. Angry, Tom chewed out his friends and decided to live somewhere else. 

He could move back to the mansion. After all, he would have the place to himself to do whatever. But, he prefers to be independent, even though he lived with other people. He decided that he would do that instead of going back to the mansion or the house.

His efforts had mixed results.

He finally found a place to move into. It was in the city, which he liked, and close to his favorite places. He decided that he was going to tell the others about his new place as soon as he checks it out himself. When he does, he finds out that he's the new owner of the apartment. Apparently, he had enough money to buy the place, pay the taxes on it for five years, and to do a lot of repairs.

'Oh boy,' Tom thought.

He decided to go to the house when Tord ran past him. He looked like he was in a hurry to get somewhere, not surprising to Tom. Tord was always leaving on small trips somewhere. But, Tom notice Edd and Matt in the store. He walks over to the two with a sad, friendly look on his face.

"Hey Edd, hey Matt," Tom says nervously. He didn't want to make the two flip on him.

"Oh, Tom! How is your house hunting? Ready to come back home?" Edd asks cheerfully. He knew Tom would put some effort into finding him a place. But, he was hoping it was a joke and Tom would come back.

"About that, I actually found a place to stay," Tom sadly looks up at Edd when he drops a tub of ice cream into the cart.

"You found a place?" Matt says while he places his favorite gallon of milk into the cart.

"Yeah, I ended up buying an apartment with my savings. I'm going to stay there for a while until the housing issue is situated. Who knows, I might just use that place for extra income. I mean I have tenants already living on the bottom floors." Tom nervously says as he rubs the back of his head.

"As long as you come to visit us once in a while, I'm okay with you moving out." Edd is shocked at what Matt said. He never thought Matt of all people would be okay with Tom moving out. 

"You're okay with me moving out?" Tom was surprised. He never thought Matt would side with him for once. After all, he usually sided with Edd when it came to changes involving the house. 

Then again, he also knew more about life than people think. 

"Yeah, I know you don't like how Edd gave up your room instead of doing something rational," Matt looks at Edd like he destroyed the house again. Edd shrinks back a little with a guilty expression.

"Besides, it'll give me a chance to leave the house more. If you have an apartment, that means you're living somewhere in the city again! We'll have so much fun hanging out!" Matt wraps his arm around his blue hooded friend.

"Maybe, won't be so bad. It'll give me time to do the things I wanted to do but, couldn't." Tom says when he looks at Matt.

"What couldn't you do with us that you can do in your new place?" Tom looks at Edd. His face shows a mix of emotions. But, he could see some anger in his eyes.

"I want to do more than go on wild, unpredictable adventures. I want to finish what I was doing while I was in the house before I get dragged into a crazy situation that shouldn't be one. I want to get a job, finish my schooling, and maybe date more. Hell, I want to be able to have a normal life once in a while." Tom was trying to remain calm in the situation.