what happened last night?

Tony slept through the night soundly, Stephen's arms hugging him close to his chest. The two were in utter bliss, that is, until they woke up.

Tony's eyes opened, and when he felt the warmth of Stephen's body, confusion surged through his brain. Despite being coherent last night, he did have quite a bit to drink. A soft light entered through the window, making him wince. His head pounded loudly, the pain was almost mind numbing. Key word, almost.

He couldn't remember most of the events from last night, especially wondering why he was spooning with Stephen. Had they slept together? Had they gone too far? Tony quickly sat up, his head aching in his hands, trying to remember what had happened. He was fully clothed, so maybe nothing happened. But why were they spooning?

Stephen's eyes then fluttered open once he realized Tony was no longer in his arms. "Tony? Are you okay?" He asked, his voice groggy.

"I don't know." Tony said to face Stephen. "What happened last night?" Tony's head was in his hand, nursing his aching hang over from the night before, so Stephen was soft with him still.

"You were having anxiety, and physical reassurance usually helps soothe them-." Stephen began to explain, but was then interrupted.

"Did we, ya know," Tony gulped, hoping Stephen would understand what he meant. Which of course he did.

"No, but if you want to." Stephen said with a small chuckle, continuing to sleepily flirt with Tony.

"No this can't be happening." Tony said as he faced the ground, sitting on the edge of the bed. "I can't believe I let myself do this again." He sighed.

There were many things Tony didn't talk about much, that he had shared with Stephen. Abouy how bad Steve hurt Tony. How he was so hesitant for a romantic relationship, fearing he'd just get hurt again. Did he forget? Did he not care? The thoughts ached along with his bad hangover. God he needed to get a glass of water and aspirin.

"Do what?" Stephen asked then, sitting up. Worry began to surge through his brain as he watched Tony get up and start to pace the room, his head still in his hands.

"This, us, I don't know what I let get into me." Tony said exasperated, clear frustration carried in the tone of his voice. He was trying to stay calm, but with a hangover and anger, it wasn't working to his advantage.

"What do you mean us?" Stephen said, still deciding to blindly flirt with Tony. "I thought this was strictly professional."

"See!" Tony said, his anger growing like wood being added to a fire. "See what you're doing? You're clearly flirting with me despite my state of being right now. You probably just want to bed me." Tony said in the heat of the moment.

"God do you ever think about anyone but yourself?"

There's that saying, about how words go deep and can really affect people; ya know the one right? Stephen had never experienced that. Not until now. Him and his ex, Christine, had gotten into an argument and she had used that line. But it didn't cut as deep as it did now. Anger bubbled inside of Stephen, he hated being called self centered.

"I could ask you the same thing." Stephen than spat back at him, getting out of bed to meet Tony's face.

"Listen Tony. I don't think you understand that your actions have consequences. They always do. Everything you do affects something else." He told him, his words filled with anger.

"Oh you think I don't know that? Why did I sign the accords? Why do I keep trying to go back and fix the mistakes I made back when Stark Industries was a weaponizing shit hole? Because I know about my actions and I'm accountable for every. single. one."

"You may fix your past mistakes or actions but what about the present? What about now? Today?" Stephen huffed. "Tony I like you. Okay? There I said it. But you toying with my heart one day and then another saying you don't want me? It hurts. Do you not realize that!? You're hurting me." Stephen exclaimed, their faces inches from eachother.

"Did I not tell you I have trust issues? Didn't I tell you I'm not stable for a relationship right now? Even before you made a move? Are you not thinking for a second that hey, maybe this guy is still hurting and isn't ready for a relationship. Have you ever thought about that?" Tony sighed, their faces were inches from eachother, obviously anger was burried in both men over their relationship, or whatever that's happening between them.

Stephen then softened, shutting his eyes. "Tony I really like you okay? If you aren't ready for something it's fine I can wait and-."

"What are you gonna say the wait is worth it?" Tony said, still furious. He did like Stephen, he really did. But was he ready for something like this? "Doctor Strange, I think we should just stay professional for now." Tony finished, his words followed by a loud sigh as he crashed back on the bed.

"You're my doctor right? Get me an aspirin for my hangover would you?" He shut his eyes, the pain clouding his thoughts with only anger.

And without another word, Stephen left, shutting the door.

__________

okay this is so short because I hate writing angst / fights between characters and this one made me especially sad I promise I'm gonna double update today because I legit need to fix this asap AHAH so enjoy this I guess