Chapter 26-Blood Sucker

We were on our way to the villa. Scott was driving me, the others stayed. The girls were going to leave but I told them not to. I didn't want to ruin their night because Cassie lashed out at me. The car ride was quiet.

I was lying down in the back of the car, with my leg up. I turned slightly but found myself in an uncomfortable position. I moved around to comfortably situate myself. I was not relaxed at all.

"Keep your foot elevated." Scott reminded me as he turned onto the main road.

We had been driving for fifteen minutes and this was the first thing he said to me since. I remained quiet, not because I didn't wish to speak, but I didn't know what to say to him.

Scott was my twin, and we joked around like normal siblings but on this vacation, we haven't spent much time together. Either we were with everyone, he was with Aly or I was with the girls. We always had other plans.

I was having a very awful night. I knew shifting was a risk and I knew it could kill me, but hearing it out loud, stirred something in me. The way he said it wasn't remorseful. It was void, without emotion and that scared me.

"I don't think you'll survive your first shift."

Bile rose and lodged itself neatly in the crevices of my throat. I swallowed to get it down but it tasted a little like blood. My blood.

"I don't think you'll survive your first shift."

A chant. Over and over.

It was in my head, and I couldn't get it out.

"I don't think you'll survive your first shift."

Jacob got into my head and was messing with my mind.

"What's on your mind?" He spoke. He asked a question. But what was I to tell him?

Was I to tell him what Jacob had said?
Would it make much of a difference?
Should I lie?
Or was the truth a better choice?

"Nothing." I lied calmly, dismissing the idea of the truth.

There was a thoughtful silence in the atmosphere of the car before he spoke again.

"Come on sis. You know you can tell me right?"

I sighed, quickly thinking of an explanation. "What am I gonna tell Devon?" This wasn't what was on my mind but it was an issue that needed to be discussed. Why not use it to an advantage?

"Is that it?" He asked suspiciously, hinting that my explanation was a lie.

I laughed a little, making it seem like it was nothing at all. "Yeah, I don't think we can tell Devon that the girl I invited on our vacation, is an evil maniac that tried to kill me and ruin my life."

He laughed, finally believing me. "You've got a point."

I nodded at him from in the rear view mirror, as he glanced at me before turning his attention back to the busy streets.

"I'll take care of that, but we'll have to lie. Are you sure that is all?"

I grinned falsely, nodding my head, "Why would I lie to you Scott? That's all it is."

I lied through my teeth. I couldn't help it. They just kept coming like a malfunctioning casino game, spewing money, except I was spewing lies.

When Scott walked in bridal style, me in his arms, Devon rushed downstairs. He was sniffing the air with his nose upturned. He smelt blood, the blood of his pup. Devon was dressed abnormally. It was weird; he'd always look elegant. It looked as if he rushed out of bed and in a daze, threw on some stuff...