Chapter 8: Dick

"I know while working with Batman in Gotham you probably 'got used' to dealing with people dying , but I still want to hear your side of the story", Black Canary said knowing that nobody can really "get used" to seeing death.

Robin who's sitting on the couch in front of her sighed audible.

When Dick started talking, the other hero inspected him carefully knowing that he's a bat which meant that he could hide his emotions very well.

And when she started asking him questions about how he felt, he answered them almost with none emotions in his voice, but she noticed the small yet sad undertone.

The diagnosis was quick and painless telling that he's slowly getting over this traumatic event.

Psychological help in this case was not necessary.

The thing she didn't know or notice: He already got over it. Exactly five seconds after the man's body hit the ground Dick was perfectly fine. Or as fine as a normal sane person can be.

He's seen death. Too many times. And not only with Bruce in Gotham.

Canary bought that act of him. Well, until...

"Megan told me that some things... escalated...in the living room not long time ago"

That's when Black Canary caught him off guard. He narrowed his eyes into a big bat glare scaring the heroine for a second.

"I was just tired, let my guard down, she surprised me, I reacted, end of the story", he said briefly with a dark voice that clearly tells that there's nothing to discuss anymore.

Now the older bird was surprised, yes, even a bit scared.

Robin on the other side just realized his mistake snapping out of his 'mood' and gave her a smile but only just making everything worse.

"Uh... Robin, are you sure you're..."

"Team, you have a mission! Meeting at the debriefing room! Now!", Batman's gruff voice announced through the whole cave.

Robin grinned victoriously at his 'psychiatrist'.

"Got to go, important mission", he yelled escaping the room through the next best vent even though the door was just a few feet away...

Black Canary was just left there, confused, mouth wide open... she should talk later to Bruce about his son's weird behavior.

———————————————

Batman stood there at the debriefing table waiting for the team to arrive.

"Hey, B-Man!", Robin chirped in.

If Bruce Wayne wasn't trained to be the Batman he would have died just here from a heart attack.

Instead he sighed at his partner's childish behavior.

"I remember asking Red Tornado to booby trap the vents", he said coldly.

His protege faked a hurtful expression, "What? You would blew up your own sidekick?"

At this point The Batman knew something was up. After the Speedy incident Robin would never call himself or his teammates 'sidekicks'. And his bat instinct (not a real bat instinct) was alarming him.

"We'll talk about this at home later", he glared before turning to the door.
As on cue the team plus Black Canary walked in.

"Dude!", Wally duded him again, "How did you get in here so fast?"

"That's for me to know and for you to find out", he said in a crazy sing song voice that scared the Chicken Whizeez out of the speedster although Batman's words got him nervous.

Batman send them all a bat glare silencing them immediately and signaling them to pay attention.

"We've got insider information telling that there will be a meeting between the Light and the Injustice League in Blüdhaven. There will be several Injustice League members discussing a possible cooperation with the organized crime located there". My source told me that there will be one of the leading members of the light, too"

"Who is this source?", Wally asked curiously.

Robin grinned exactly knowing who this mysterious person is.

"That's classified..."

"Let's put these criminals into prison!", Superboy exclaimed.

Robin rolled his eyes already guessing what the mission is gonna be about.

"No. This mission's goal is to get as much information about the light as possible. Do not! Engage!"

A wave of groans filled the room.