Chapter 19: Escalation

A month. Four weeks. 31 days.

This is the amount of time that has passed by now.

A month since Robin got grounded. Four weeks since he spoke the last time with his father.
31 days since the verbal abuse began.

Not to be able to do the only thing in your life that made you feel good.
That made you be a hero.
That made you be a better person.

That was killing him on the inside.

'I'm no hero, anymore... if I ever was', the boy thought.

This darkness inside of his body. It kept spreading like some sort of plague. It slowly consumed every part of his body creating a new personality... or rather bringing back an old one to the bird's mind.

Don't worry. Our little birdie is still the same. Just much darker than before. Okay better be worrying...

This darkness. It was exactly this pain... this feeling of abandonment, that even the people around him, his friends, caused, which once formed the shattered pieces of the broken boy into something bigger, something worse.

And it's happening again.

So it was just a matter of time when the boy snapped.

Let me tell you this part of the story from the beginning.

==================================

The team just got back from a mission. Tired and relieved at the same time they entered the living room only to find Robin there sitting on the couch and watching some TV since he hadn't anything to do.

"Get of the couch, former Boy Wonder", Artemis said with painful irony in her voice.

But this time Robin didn't listen. He had enough.

"I was here first, since I'm trapped here, so just sit down next to me", Robin offered her his peace offer.

Wally just glared at the boy crossing his arms and saying absolutely nothing.

"Artemis", Megan tried, "There is more than enough place on this couch for all of us..."

"Agreed", Kaldur said awkwardly but supportive.

But Artemis didn't even care to listen to anyone.

"I don't sit with assassins. Go away Tayir-boy", she said sassily.

That's when the boy snapped.

Her victorious smirk fell immediately when she saw the boy's murderous glare.

"Don't. You. Dare! Talking to me like that EVER Again!", Robin jumped up on his feet and narrowed his eyes glaring at her even more, "Don't you ever call me an assassin or by this name or I swear..."

"But it's what you are. An assassin and a killer. It's in your blood after all", she told him while he approached her slowly, the glare not leaving.

"She's right", Wally even spoke up this time not so mute at all.

'IT CAN TALK?!'

Conner nodded in silent agreement, too.

The feeling of betrayal returned and consumed Robin more than ever. It's causing darkness just overwhelmed the young teen.

Robin's glare suddenly formed into a big evil grin surprising everybody once again.

"Oh!", Robin exclaimed suddenly, "I don't know how you manage to keep this act, Arty. Maybe you're the bigger sociopath of the two of us after all!"