Chapter 14: Broken Boy

It all started with a broken boy who tried to gather the shattered pieces of his life together before he managed to cut himself with them.

Okay enough with the metaphors now.

He was at Iron Heights. Not Juvenile anymore. They also were over filled back then.

'Time to adopt', the small boy thought sarcastically before sitting at a table in the canteen with his... let's just call it food.

He kept staring at his... meal while eating it slowly not recognizing the man sitting in front of him inspecting the child closely.

He knew he was probably sitting just meters away from people same like Zucco. Murderers. Killers.

He wasn't even afraid anymore.

When his parents died, the young boy suffered several states of grief.

He was sad. So seriously sad. He cried for days, weeks, even a month, before his eyes felt like they couldn't produce any tears anymore and became just dull, empty mirrors to his soul.

Then the anger arrived. He was mad as hell. Had even some thoughts that no child should have at the age of six.

Him beating up a kid at Juvie reserved him a VIP ticket to the adults prison. Hey but in his defense, the kid at Juvie was a bully, so no harm done.

After that he slowly turned fully depressed knowing that nothing could bring them back.

He didn't speak anymore, didn't eat much and just stayed silent all the time deeply lost in thoughts.

"Who did you lost, Kid?", the old man asked him out of nowhere.

Dick snapped his head up, shocked about the social contact with a person.

"My Mami and my Tati...", he told him.

The guy seemed to understand and gave him a look of sympathy, not pity, like all the other people did.

This old man seemed to know he feeling of loss. And his warm smile was somehow comforting.

"Who did you lost?", little Dick asked.

The man visibly flinched but answered honestly.

"The woman I loved", he finally told him anger building inside of him, „She was killed by a former friend of mine"

At these words the young boy flinched. This man lost a loved one. Just like Dick did.

"What was her name?", the boy asked with childish curiosity.

The man swallowed deeply not wanting to say out her name.

"Her name was Shado"

"That's a pretty name", Dick told him with a half smile trying to comfort, too.

"Yes", the man told him his voice getting deeper, "It is"

"I'm Dick, what's your name?", the kid asked him stretching out his little hand to offer him to shake.

"Call me Slade, kid", he shook the young boy's hand.

———————————————

"Wait a second, wait a second...", Wally started going up and down almost using his super speed, "So my best friend since my childhood met this assassin when he was like six and also got BFFs with him?!"

"Looks like, Baywatch", Artemis answered his rhetorical question with no emotion but shock.

"Wow...", Wally said rubbing his shoulder, "That explains some things..."

"I can't believe it...", Kaldur stuttered questioning the whole team's existence.

"I can totally believe it", Connor said absently but still paranoid.

"I didn't understand a word what they were saying", Megan said helplessly.