Chapter 16

The Deliberation room was bustling with activity. The twelve jurors would stay there until five pm that day, and then the case would be finalized tomorrow.

Elizabeta suddenly stood, shutting everyone up. "Be quiet! You all act like children and I'm sick of it!"

The room barely quieted, but at least hushed some nonetheless, and Elizabeta crossed her arms. "We have much more evidence, now, everyone." She spoke. "We must decide based on vote. And no being decisive! We do not need a standstill that will further the trial."

"Well, for one," Isabella spoke up suddenly, "We have all the evidence we need. There's no doubt — Arthur was involved with Alfred's escape." She huffed, "I say we let them both get off with community service and a fine. After all, Alfred wasn't in for murder, right?"

"Drunk drivers are just as much a danger to anybody else as a murderer is." Phillip spoke up, "Drunk drivers kill other people, usually, not themselves."

Michelle pinched the bridge of her nose. "Maybe so, but he's still technically a kid." She leaned back slightly, "I don't believe he'll be doing this again."

The room once again erupted with protests and arguments, and Elizabeta simply sat back, groaning to herself. This wasn't getting anywhere.

Feliks found this rather amusing, "They really do act like children."

Liza nodded and shot the small crowd a slight glare as they argued. "Truly."

Now and then, words could be made out from the crowd. "All prisoners should die!" "This ones just a kid.." "That one former cop totally has the hots for the prisoner, don't you agree?" "Gilbert is a sick bastard for doing this!"

"Enough!" Elizabeta suddenly yelled, and this time, everyone fell deathly silent.

"This is how it will go." She started, brushing a brunette lock out of her face. "If I point to you, you state if you think the defendant is or is not guilty, and your reason why — with no interruptions." She huffed. "Understood?"

Andres shrugged. "Sounds fair to me."

"Okay, then, starting to my left," Liza pointed at Phillip.

"Guilty." The older man spoke, "Prisoners are prisoners, and they need to serve punishment for their actions. Period."

Elizabeta nodded, grabbing. her pen and scribbling down his vote. She then pointed next to him; Michelle.

"Not guilty. He is just a kid.." The woman with a slight french accent spoke, "Besides, all evidence points to Gilbert's prison being run improperly anyway, no? It's wrong to let that continue."

Pen scratch marks. Andres.

"Well," He shrugged. "At first I was indecisive. But I have to say not guilty, too. Same reason as Michelle."

Next person. Yong Soo.

"Guilty. Gilbert had his laws — he should've followed them, despite the evidence."

And so it went on....

"Guilty." "Not guilty.." "Guilty." "Guilty." "Not guilty..."

And finally, Elizabeta reached Feliks. She looked down at her notepad; It was even, and the final vote depended on the Polish blondes final answer.

He gulped at the collective glares around the room and started sweating.

"Well, Feliks?" Liza asked. "We don't have all day."

He thought about it for a minute. No, forget that, for quite a while. He took a sharp breath, leaning back in his chair and furrowing his brow slightly.