Brown Skin..

Rose:

I sat on the couch in the living room feeling my head spin as my mom went back across the street to finish helping clean up.. it was around 11:30 at night..
I laid down back on the couch looking up at the ceiling..
The door opened..

"I made us a big ass bin of barbecue and I brought that cake over.."
I remained quiet watching the ceiling...
She put everything up and came into the living room where I was..
"Sit up!"
She said hitting my thigh..
I sat up and she sat by me pulling me close as I laid on her chest..
"I can't imagine how you're feeling Rosie.."

"Like someone took my heart and stepped all on it.."

"Mmm, mmm, mmm.. He can only have the energy levels that you allow him to take from you.."

"I know.. but I can't stop this.. I'm trying to wrap my mind around it all.. He wasn't supposed to be like them other niggas.. He wasn't like them.."

"Here take this wipe your face and follow me.."
She said handing me a cold rag..

"Ma I just wanna lay here.. I don't have it in me.."

"WHAT I SAY! Pick yo world up, get off that couch! And follow me now!"
And I got up with the quickness..

I followed behind her towards the side of the house where my room was.. it was dark and she made me close my eyes..
She guided me inside and turned on the light..
"Okay, now open!"

My mouth dropped.. It was sooo damn beautiful! She redecorated the whole room from top to bottom.. it was perfect!
"What is all of this?"

She smiled going to the brand new bed that was every bit of king size and flopping on it.. she hit the bed..
"Come sit by me.."
I sat down looking around in amazement.. It was a beautiful emerald green all around.. My favorite color.. She had all my old things organized on one side.. there was a flat screen tv with a brand new stand.. and a laptop with a desk.. and my bed was so huge and soft with millions of pillows just how I liked it..
"You like?"

"I love! This is amazing.."
I looked at the night stand and seen a picture of me and Yolanda (my birth mom)..
"What's this?"

"I think you know what that is.. I know God put you and Corrie in my care for a reason.. And as long as you know you both are in your heart than I'm your mom you'll never have to question anything about me.. You should know you both were mine the day I came and got y'all out of that lobby.. But I didn't give you birth.. and that won't change.. No matter what she's still your birth mom as well as my baby sister too.. and there will be a day when she comes around.. and when she does just make sure you open your heart.. She loves you both she just has demons that are following her around horrible demons.. and not me or you will ever get what that may be like.."

I took the picture and put it up at the top of the closet faced down.. I took her hand and put it over my heart..
"You feel that?"
She nodded.. I put my hand over her heart..
"It matches! Rhythm and beat.. I don't care about no birth nothing.. She chose those demons over us, we all got something we battling.. You are my mom! And that's, that.."

She smiled..
"Mmm.. Look I know that you're grown and you wanna experience life.. I know you don't wanna stay here with me forever but I just want you to know that this is always your home.. and you don't ever have to ask, you can always come home to me! I'll never turn you away.. No matter who lets you down.. I'll never let you down.. I'm always here with you!"