FIVE

CHAPTER FIVE : NOT A BAD THING

Rowan sits in her art class, focused on her sketch — which was of a closeup of an eye. Shading the arch of the eyebrow she notices Jacob staring at her sketch.

"It's not bad, is it?" Rowan asks.

"No, of course not. It's awesome. It just.. looks familiar." Jacob comments.

"I wasn't drawing anyone specific." Rowan responds as she sets her pencil down. "So, what are your plans for the weekend?"

"I'm helping Bella rebuild two bikes that she found." Jacob tells her smiling, a small punch like hurting hitting her stomach since she knew he was smiling about Bella. "What about you? Any big plans?"

"Not really." Rowan shakes her head. "Mom's out of town this weekend so I have to make sure the house stays in tip top shape."

"Same old Rowan." Jacob comments patting her shoulder.

"Yeah, same old me." Rowan mutters, quietly sighing as she turns back to her paper.

✦ ✦ ✦

Skipping across the room Rowan dusts above the television set when suddenly Quil and Embry burst in.

"The doorbell still works, you know." Rowan reminds them.

"Sorry, but we have big news." Embry grins.

"Yeah — we just got a text saying there's a party on the north end of the beach tonight." Quil continues.

"Quil, you know how I feel about those things." Rowan groans.

"Told you she wouldn't want to come." Embry says turning to Quil. "Pay up."

"Come on, Row. There's going to be a firework show and everything. Besides, it'll give you a chance to get over that thing you have for Jacob." Quil presses.

"What are you talking about? I don't have a thing for Jacob." Rowan argues crossing her arms.

"Really? Cause that's not what your diary said." Quil says turning away.

"Quil Ateara, you did what?" Rowan inquires narrowing her eyes at him.

"I.. I didn't say anything." Quil frowns, his eyes going wide as he realizes what he just did. Rolling her eyes Rowan goes back to her dusting. "Row, come on. We really want you to come with us."