TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE : SOUNDS LIKE A DATE

"Ooh, Jared just texted. He said they're only a couple minutes away." Kim tells Rowan and Emily as they fix the tape on the banner.

"Which means we have about two hours before they show up." Emily jokes and all of the girls laugh. "Alright, I think that's everything."

"Breathe, Emily." Rowan advises and grabs her hands. "Sam's gonna love it."

"Thanks." Emily replies pulling her in for a hug and as they pull apart the hear an engine pulling into the driveway.

"Quick — everyone grab a noise maker and hide." Kim instructs.

Grabbing noise makers the girls hide just enough so the boys couldn't see them. Watching intently for their shadows come closer the three of them jump out and blow their noise makers as Sam, Jared, Paul, and Embry walk in.

"Happy birthday!" The three girls yell.

"Woah — what is all this?" Sam questions.

"It's called a party." Kim retorts.

"With streamers and noise makers?" Sam inquires.

"Hey — streamers and noise makers are classic party essentials." Rowan defends.

"Yeah. Just like hokey pokey." Paul scoffs causing Rowan to roll her eyes at him.

"Well come on. This party isn't your only surprise." Emily informs Sam before grabbing his hand and dragging over to the couch. "Here, this one is from me."

Unable to hide his eagerness Sam opens the gift, revealing a glass wolf figurine that used to belong to his grandfather. His grandmother had given away most of her husband's possessions after his death — so seeing this was quite a surprise.

"Emily.." Sam breathes shocked. "Where did you.."

"I got a call from your mom a couple weeks back and she informed me that she had found this while she was cleaning out the attic and I thought, well, hoped that would want it." Emily explains. "So.. do you like it?"

"I love it." Sam grins and kisses Emily on the cheek. "Thank you."

"Don't get too excited just yet. There's more presents on the way." Rowan warns and hands him a gift bag. "Happy birthday."

"Thanks, Rowan." Sam responds, looking at her with a smile before dumping out two books out of the gift bag. "Let's see — we've got 'Pride and Prejudice' and 'Animal Farm'."