Prologue

I shivered, pulling my jacket closer to my body in the frigid air. The sun was setting, casting long, low shadows over the road. Streetlights flickered on overhead, sending pools of yellow light on the blacktop.

I glanced up, noticing that all the houses on both sides of the street were boarded up and abandoned. Weeds grew unchecked on lawns, choking once-lovely flowering bushes, now wild and overgrown. Nature was slowly taking back the block.

I tripped over a crack in the road, one that the street lights hadn't illuminated. I got up quickly, my breath puffing out in white clouds from my mouth. A shadow moved in my peripheral vision, and I spun, seeing nothing there. I turned back around and continued walking nowhere.

A boy, around my age, stepped out from behind one of the houses. He had on jeans and a short-sleeved t-shirt, which made no sense in the freezing air. His midnight hair blended in perfectly with the nighttime air, contrasting starkly with his pale skin. The most striking feature about him, though, was his eyes. Luminous green eyes stared at me through the dark, assessing everything about me.

"Come with me."

He disappeared behind the broken home. I blinked, feeling panicked. He was the only human I had seen in this neighborhood, and I wasn't about to let him leave me alone here.

I followed after him, only catching glimpses of him , leaving the well-lit path of the road. I rounded a corner and halted, only inches from the strange boy. Darkness surrounded us, kept at bay only by the light of his eyes.

"Find me."

*****

Authors note

Thank you @popupoppy for the amazing cover! :-D It looks great, you did an awesome job!

Please vote/comment/follow and tell me if you liked it or not! I have more chapters already drafted, so I'll update ASAP.

Bye!