Chapter 6

I raced down the stairs, moving toward the sound of laughter coming from the kitchen. Stopping in the doorway, I surveyed the scene before me. Adam was leaning against the granite countertop, a cup of water in his hand. He was laughing at something my mom said.

A man sat on the chairs by the counter, forearms resting on the island. A mop of hair, as dark as his sons', lay atop his head. The man was undeniably handsome, and his green eyes sparkled with amusement, just as Adam's did.

"Boo."

I jumped, startled. "Don't do that!" Smacking Adam's chest, I stepped away, then crossed my arms over my chest.

He laughed, setting his cup down on the counter. "Why not? It's fun scaring you."

"It's not that fun for me," I argued, but I was laughing too. His laugh was so infectious.

"Have you met my father? Dad, this is Sam; Sam, my dad." Adam stepped aside so we could see each other clearer.

"Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Mortem," I extended my hand for him.

"Please, call me Daniel. It's a pleasure to meet you as well, Sam. Adam has told me a lot about you." He returned my handshake, then smiled warmly toward me. I took a liking to him immediately.

"Dad!" Adam complained, running his fingers through his hair.

"Uh, why don't you two go out and swim for a bit, I'll make dinner. It's going to be steak, Sam's favorite. How do you like yours done?" My mom asked Daniel and Adam.

"Medium," Adam replied.

"Medium please, Ms. Johnson, thank you," Daniel supplied, smiling at my mom.

"Well that makes my job easier. And please, call me Emily. Have a nice swim you two, and remember, I'll be in the kitchen. Right here. Always within yelling distance. Don't forget." There was a window in the kitchen that looked out onto the pool deck, which she would no doubt be staring through the entire time she wasn't talking to Daniel. She smiled, ushering us out the door.

Adam and I walked out onto the deck, and I stared at the in-ground pool. It was shaped irregularly, and maybe about seven feet in the deep end. A small waterfall ran in the lower area, only about four feet deep. The water itself was a clear, calm blue, and I dipped a toe in it to find that it was warm.

I felt a nudge on my back, and the next thing I knew I was flying through the air, landing smack right into the water. I came up sputtering, finding Adam doubled over in hysterical laughter. Swimming up to him, I grabbed his leg and pulled him in.

He landed with a splash, and the water war began. We threw water at each other, fought over pool noodles, and generally acted like six-year-olds.

A little while later we were both floating on blow-up lounge things, staring up at the little white puffs of clouds that dotted the sky at random intervals. At least, that's what I was doing. Adam was trying to make the calm water a wave pool by bringing the float up and down continuously.

Turning my head to the side, I examined how the newest edition to our backyard was doing. It was a little jasmine bush that we planted last month, and it was doing wonderfully. The rest of the backyard was an overgrown garden, spilling flowers and rich scents everywhere. Bright green grass poked up through rock paths, and the failed attempt at a pond was grown over with algae. It was a very bright, fresh place.

"Sammy?"

"Yeah Adam...my?" I said, trying and failing at a nickname for him.

He chuckled. "I was wondering... The new Captain America movie just came out, do you want to go see it with me on Saturday?"