xiv. Can't Keep Hiding

〖 chapter fourteen ⋆ can't keep hiding 〗

chapter fourteen can't keep hiding

⋆ ⋆ ⋆

         Peter walked home with him the next day. Even though it had only been a day since they had last seen each other, there was so much to say – to tell him about what – especially after hours of being so close to each other but too far away to actually speak. Garrett knew he added distance, he knew that he was the one who built such a wall between them during school. He knew he was the one who avoided eye contact with his boyfriend like the plague and could never let himself just be – be with Peter and be free.

         He knew that, but he still felt that pain and he still cherished every moment he got with Peter when the bell ringed, school ended, and they were back at his place. Just the two of them in his bedroom, no one else.

         Well, until yesterday. Clayton, his amazing friend, stayed for the rest of the night and through dinner – he never even questioned when his dad didn't even so much as look at him throughout the entire meal – and always apologized for asking anything about his relationship with Peter in case it stepped over a line. Clayton, who said nothing during school, acted completely normal and didn't treat him differently. No one suspected a thing, there was not even a mention of his sexuality from Clayton.

         Their hands were so close to touching and sometimes when Garrett moved they touched briefly. He wanted to reach and hold it in his, close and lovingly. He wanted to not care about what everyone thought of him, but he did. He cared so much and that was their demise – what he knew would be.

         "So, what did Clayton say yesterday?" Peter asked. Garrett could see that he had been wanting to ask for a while, how anxious he walked and how his face – never the best for poker – held an internal battle, working up the courage to finally ask.

         "He was fine with it, actually," Garrett told him with a smile, glancing over at his boyfriend, "Like, he wasn't upset at all. We talked about it for a while and he was okay with it."

         Peter nodded, "That's good. And he – he didn't care that it was me who you're dating?"

         With a shake of his head, Garrett told him honestly, "Not at all. I mean, he teased me about it for a bit, and asked how we met, but he wasn't like rude about it or anything. And, I mean, he wants to me you, give you the talk and everything."

         "He's met me before," Peter said, looking over at Garrett, who rolled his eyes and chuckled at his boyfriend.

         "Yeah, but that was when we didn't know each other. Now, we're dating, so it's different," Garrett explained, "He wants to meet Boyfriend Peter – not School Peter."

         The Parker boy nodded but was quiet. He couldn't think about it, he blocked it out, happy for a moment. Nothing else – just happiness. There was no thought about Peter's head, how the thoughts were landing him through a spiral.