xv. Dirty Little Secret

〖 chapter fifteen ⋆ dirty little secret 〗

chapter fifteen dirty little
secret

⋆ ⋆ ⋆

         He called Peter again. It was one day before the deadline for early action for Columbia was due and he was freaking out. It was before school and he knew his dad was downstairs. They still weren't talking but perhaps his dad would break the silence to ask and he couldn't take it. He just wanted to calm down and there was no way to do that without Peter's calm voice telling him it was okay.

         But Peter wouldn't pick up. He hadn't been picking up for days now and he didn't know why, causing him to panic more. His heart was beating and he was ready for the stares of disappointment that would reach his gaze, or maybe the continuous silent treatment that's beginning to damage him.

         Before, he didn't care. Finally he didn't have to pretend as much, finally he was free from that criticism, but now it was becoming deadly and he hated it but he would not be the first to break it. That would be weak and he could not be weak; Lockwood men were not weak.

         And Peter declined the call. Peter saw that he was calling and deliberately declined – he was deliberately not speaking to him and he wanted to cry. Everything was falling apart, wasn't it? It was time to say goodbye because there was no other way. Peter had realized that he wasn't enough, Peter had realized that he could do so much better and he was leaving him behind.

         He would be dust. Peter was moving on, he was going to find someone better. He was moving forward and he couldn't hold the boy behind. He deserved more than someone who was scared of their own dad, of their own future, of themselves. He deserved so much better and should stop settling for him.

         This was for the best. It was okay. He was okay. He was always okay.

⋆ ⋆ ⋆

         It was at lunch that he sat with Clayton, Tatiana, and Flash. Chuck was sick (thankfully) and Flash still hadn't gotten back with Maddie. He didn't worry though, they would be back by the end of the month because they always were.

         But Flash didn't look like himself, and everyone at the table was noticing it. Clayton looked at his friend carefully before looking over at Tatiana and him. Then, the Lawson girl stood up. "You know what? I'm gonna get something out of the vending machine. Come with me, Clayton?"

         The West boy nodded and stood up and Tatiana bent down to whisper in the Lockwood's ear, "Get him to talk. He looks miserable." And then the two were gone, leaving him with Flash.