Chapter 11: Max Gets Shot

All 5 of us were both petrified and outnumbered. "What the hell are you guys doing on our turf?" one of the goons asked. I gulped, then said while both stammering and shaking, "W-we were j-just s-saving my b-brother." "Who are you guys?" Cherry asked the goons, fearfully confused. "The Heist Brothers," another goon answered. "We go on heists searching for valuable diamonds in the hopes of getting some serious dough." "We also kill anyone who either stands in our way or has any knowledge of our schemes," another goon explained. "Looks like when it comes to the latter, you 5 fit the shoe perfectly." 

My eyes grew hella huge, and then I turned to Max who was just as scared as I was. "Uh, fellas..." Max began. "We don't want any trouble, so we'll just be-" "Hey boss," the second goon told the first goon in interruption. "Take a look at that blonde chick's necklace." They both feasted their eyes on Cherry. Cherry struck a pose and smiled because she presumed that these jewel thieves were checking her out in a flirting way. "Cherry, they're looking at the diamond necklace that you're wearing, not your figure!" I whispered to her angrily. "How do you know they don't wanna take me out?" she asked, conceitedly clueless. "They do, but not in the way that you're interpreting!" Max angrily whispered to her. "Ohhhhh..." she said, finally snapping back to reality.

"Hey blondie," the first goon said to her. "if you give me that diamond necklace, we'll let all of you guys leave this street ALIVE." "But my grandmother gave me this on my last birthday right before she passed away," Cherry said in a whiny tone while pointing at the necklace. "Well, you get to meet her again right now!" the goon said, about to pull the trigger. "Oyster, Evan, cover Cherry!" I ordered them. "On it!" they both said in unison as they did what I said by hiding behind a huge bush. Before the bullet could even leave the chamber, Max and I both used our telekinesis once again and knocked the gun out of the first goon's hand. "Hey, what the hell?!" he yelled angrily. "Shoot these kids down!" Max and I ducked for cover behind another huge bush before the other 9 cocked back. Our combined telekinesis isn't quick enough to knock 9 freaking guns out of a bunch of jewel thieves' hands!

"Guys, run!" Max instructed our friends. "Yeah, save yourselves!" I concurred. They ran behind the building for safety. While hiding behind the bush, I low-key called the Metroburg police for help. "Alright, the police are on their way," I told my brother. "Good," Max said. "We can't handle lethal force even with our combined powers." "Right," I agreed. "Let's quickly go around to the back with our friends until the feds get here." He nodded in agreement. "On the count of 3," I suggested. "1..." Max started. "2..." I followed up. Next thing I knew, a gunshot was heard and Max was hit in his chest! A bullet came flying through the big bush we were hiding behind.

My whole life flashed before my eyes when I heard that gunshot sound probably almost as fast as Max's the second he got shot. "Oh no, Max!" I cried out. That's when the police came; damn, that was fast! "Crap! It's the cops!" I heard one of the goons say. "Put your hands where I can see them and drop the guns!" an officer commanded them. A couple of other officers saw us in the bushes and approached us. "Oh my God, officers, thank goodness you guys are here!" I said. "They shot my brother Max just 2 seconds before you pulled up!" "Don't worry, miss," one of them assured me. "We'll take him to the hospital." "We'll grab your brother, and you just head to our car right there in the backseat," the other officer said, pointing at a police car that was only a few feet away. "Thank you so much!" I told them as they picked up my wounded brother/boyfriend. "Can my 3 friends hiding behind the house tag along, too?" "Sure, they can ride in one of the other cars and follow us." There were 5 police cars; 3 goons were in one car, and another 3 were in another car with the remaining 4 in another. Max and I rode to the hospital in one while our friends rode in the last police car that followed us.

When we got to the hospital, we thanked Metroberg's Finest for giving us all a lift before they headed out and all four of us sat in the waiting room as a few doctors took Max to the ER. I called Mom and Dad and told them everything that happened and lied about hanging out with Cherry. The only person hanging was Max-LITERALLY! "I'm so sorry that I lied to you guys," I said to them, feeling more remorse than they could imagine. "I just wanted to try a superhero mission on my own and I guess I got carried away." "Well, we'll discuss this later when we get to the hospital," Dad said in a low-key stern voice. "We're all on our way right now; see you in a bit." "Okay," I said, then hung up.