Chapter 12: The Ghost Of Dark Mayhem

Max's recovery week went by in the blink of an eye. On the first night of his full recovery, we all decided to have a sibling hangout night (as opposed to just babysitting) since our parents planned yet another romantic evening out...while my brother and I were low-key excessively craving that one special night where we're both comfortable going out in public. "We should be back by 11PM, kids," Mom informed us. "Love you, be good," Dad told us as they both walked out. "Love you, too!" all 4 of us said back. Considering that it's not just 75% of their children that are good anymore, it's a guarantee that we'll all be good.

Billy and Nora's bedtime is 10PM, so that would give me and Max 1 hour to engage in our Thundercest before Mom and Dad get back. It was 8PM when they left, so for the first 2 hours we ate buffalo wings and watched "Despicable Me 2", although I'm not sure why. Pharrell's song "Happy" is a prime example of an earworm and it was CONSTANTLY stuck in my head prior to that night! The second the rolling end credits were visible on the screen, we told our younger sibs to go brush their teeth and get ready for bed. Max and I both had to brush our teeth as well because we obviously didn't want to have buffalo wing-breath while we kissed in private. They both did as we commanded and conveniently ended up in their respective bedrooms at 10PM on the dot. Max and I proceeded to my bedroom (because unlike his room, mine has a lock). Max had a playlist of songs by some of my favorite music artists; that'll get "Happy" out of my head! The first song was Drake's "Hold On, We're Going Home". When the "I Got My Eyes On You" part came up, in a both cute and funny way I made googly eyes at Max; he liked it.

After a good 20 minutes of us enjoying our Thundercest, all of a sudden the lights go out. "Crap!" we both said in unison, quietly so we wouldn't wake up Billy and Nora. "Didn't Mom and Dad pay the light bill like yesterday?" I asked my brother. "I think so," he said. "It's probably just a short; let's go downstairs and check the fuse box. Dad taught me how to fix it a couple of months ago." We both got our phones for light to guide us downstairs to the fuse box in the hallway. Once we got to the fuse box, Max opened it up and then told me to keep my phone out for light so he could see what he was doing. Fiddling around with it for a moment, Max was finally able to get the lights back on...for like only 5 seconds. The lights went back out again! "What the hell?!" I angrily whispered. "I thought you fixed it." "I did!" he whispered back. "I don't know why they went back off."

As we were standing there in the dark very confused, a random and brief cold breeze blew by us. "Ooooh..." I said in a shudder, as I shivered and shook rubbing both of my arms...which had goosebumps. "Did it suddenly get cold in here?" I asked as Max approached me to share some body heat. "Yeah, I think it did," he said as he hugged me. "Let's go find the thermostat." While still holding on to each other, I used the light on my phone to help guide us to the thermostat. Once we found it, we were hella puzzled because it was at 73 degrees; so it shouldn't even be that cold! Just then, the cold breeze blew by us once more. We held each other even tighter, not just because we were cold from the breeze...but also frightened! "OK, what the hell is going on?" I asked, question followed my a gulp. "I have no idea, sis," my brother replied, rubbing my back to calm my nerves...even though I could tell that he had trouble calming his own. Seriously, what WAS happening? Lights going out, random cold breeze blowing by every 10 seconds...could our house be haunted by a...GHOST?!

No, that can't be; ghosts aren't real...right? Well, let's just say the next thing that happened would prove me wrong. "THUNDER TWINS!" a familiar, yet extremely haunting voice uttered from out of nowhere. Holding each other even tighter than skinny jeans, Max and I were completely joined at the hip. We were so scared, we didn't want to let each other go...just like on Thunder Man: The Ride. "YOU HAVE CROSSED THE LINE AND I WILL NOW HAVE MY REVENGE!" "Max..." I started, shaking excessively. "Yeah, sis?" my brother replied, low-key whimpering. "Is that the voice of who I think it is?" "D-Dark M-Mayhem?" "Even worse...I think it's the GHOST of Dark Mayhem!" "Oh man, I killed him and FOUR other evil villains the day I stopped being evil and we just killed his associate King Crab and his 2 daughters a week ago!" he pointed out. "And now he's coming back to haunt us for revenge!"