Through The Woods

Myself and the guys were always up at the break of dawn, naturally. I got myself showered and dressed in my usual black clothes and makeup and headed towards the main room. I found Drew and Shane playing a game of chess whilst Kier was making a cup of tea and Luke was fixing old guns he never got around to. I walked over to my window, smiling at my chirpy fellow friends as they were back to them usual selves, but I wasn't. I sat down in the window sill and straight away noticed Snow's drawings were still printed there, still looking like they were freshly done. A drawing of a sad face and a snowflake caught my attention.

"It didn't snow again, guess it was just a passing blizzard." spoke Drew, looking out another window.

"I told you!" exclaimed Shane, wanting to always be right. I pressed my index finger against the sad face and moved it down slightly. It smudged the drawing and wiped away like it was fresh. That drawing did get me wondering though. Sad face, snowflake, what could they mean?

"Well, it's getting overly warm here. I'm gonna go for a dip in the back yard pool, who's coming?" said Kier, stretching as he got up from a seat he just sat down in.

"Yeah, I'll go." spoke Shane.

"Swimming!" cried Drew, skipping around. Luke nodded in agreement and then they started to walk out of the room to collect their swimming stuff. Kier stopped in the doorway and turned back to me.

"You coming Lozzie?" he asked, using my nickname.

"Nah I'm good thanks, think I'm gonna go take a walk down the quieter side of town." I said, staring out the window down at grey Grandomina.

I made my way down the street, the side of Grandomina that rarely had any people around. The clouds were still thick and grey, blocking out the blue, but I could still feel the heat from above, flowing through the air. I made my way down behind the houses, where one out of three Grandomina's woods was, to the left of me. I didn't take much notice of the woods until I saw something in the corner of my eye, moving. I turned my head and saw a white cape, silvery white cape, move behind a tree, walking into the woods. It looked like the same cape that unknown woman wore at the funeral the other day. Out of curiosity, I crossed the road and headed towards the opening of the woods. I peered down the direction the cap went and saw them really far out into the woods. They were facing me but I couldn't see the identity. I even squinted in focus and still couldn't make out a face.

"Hey!" I called out to them. They turned back around and started walking forwards, away from me. I started to follow, but as I followed into the woods, I noticed they were getting faster and faster, running away from me. I started to pick up the pace, chasing them through the trees. "Wait!" I called out to them as they started to leave my view, further and further away from me. I watched the white cape suddenly burst through the other side of the woods, which was covered with just bushes, and leave my sight. I increased my speed and ran down to the end of the woods. I burst through the bushes and then suddenly slowed down to a holt. I was now out in an open field that stretched out for miles. I looked far out and saw a little cottage in the middle with a picket fence surrounding it. Never knew anyone lived out here? The odd thing was though, there was no white cape in sight. I would of at least saw them running down the field or something, but they were just suddenly gone. Curiosity took over me and I decided to go check out the cottage, wondering who lived there. Slowly as I was out of breath from running, I made my way down towards it. As I got closer, I could see clearer into the front garden. I spotted a girl with white hair, pinning up laundry on a clothing line out the front. White hair? Snow? Was it her? I arrived at the picket fence and she had her back to me, pinning up more laundry. She wore a pastel yellow dress with little daisies printed all over it. I cleared my throat to get her attention. I heard her gasp as she quickly jumped around to face me, dropping the shirt she was about to peg up. She had snow white hair, pale porcelain skin and wide ice blue eyes. It was Snow.