Millie Mae Rose

The light snow still fell down onto us, covering our over-tops. The mist was thin enough to see through it now, to see the damaged houses and abandoned areas. I walked on, mesmerized at how scary but interesting the town was, it reminded me of Grandomia, but a even more dead one.

"Laurence," I heard a small voice behind me. I turned around to see Snow, not that far behind me, looking at the snow which was falling on to us. "The snow is grey." she finished. I stuck my hand out and let the snow fall on to it, so I could see for myself. The snow made a little collection in the palm of my hand and then I did see that it was grey. I poked at it with my other hand saw that it just crumbled into dust. Just like ash does. In fact it wasn't snow at all, it was ash.

"It's ash, how strange." I spoke, brushing it out of my hands.

"What? Why is ash falling from the sky?!" exclaimed Snow, brushing it off of her and pulling her hood over her head.

"I have no idea, this place doesn't seem right either." I said, looking around curiously. Snow looked around herself and then quickly ran over towards me and hooked herself onto my arm. I smiled to myself and then we continued to walk forwards. 

We continued down the path until something caught Snow's eye. An abandoned nursery came into our view and she suddenly stopped to a hold, almost making me trip slightly. 

"What's wrong?" I asked her, noticing her eyes were dead locked on the nursery in a curious face.

"I don't know, but that place seems so familiar to me and I have no idea why." she spoke, letting go of my arm and slowly walking to wards the nursery. We made our way up to what use to be a white picket fence, but was now grey with old, chipped paint and missing pickets, and pushed open the gate. The gate just crumbled and fell apart at my touch, so we stepped over it and made our way up the path towards the nursery doors. Outside, old swing sets and merry-go-round's and slides sat there, abandoned and rotting to pieces. It was kind of sad to see a town become like this. We made it to the entrance of the nursery and saw both doors had rotted and fallen off of their hinges, so we stepped right through. Inside the nursery, it was something we didn't really expect to see. The room looked like it had been burned and the furniture and objects just looked like they would crumble to ash at a first touch.

"This is so strange..." spoke Snow, walking around the room and looking at the burnt toys.

"What is?" I asked, walking over to a desk at the back of the room.

"I remember this room for some reason, I have no idea why." Snow lent down to touch an old rag doll on the floor and as soon as she did, it crumbled into ash. I walked over the the burned desk to see that it was still pretty solid and standing. Just underneath a little layer of ash, I noticed a half burned document. Out of plain curiosity, I picked it up and blew the ash and dust off of it. I opened up the document and inside were enrollment forms of the children whom use to be at this nursery. I took them out one by one and read the names and saw little photographs of their cute smiling faces. Seeing how happy the children were warmed my heart a little, as I hadn't seen a smiling child or person for months. I carried on going through them till one child caught my eye and suddenly made me stop. The photo was a little girl with pale, almost white, skin and white hair and ice blue eyes. I stared at the child and then looked over to Snow. They were exactly the same. I looked on the enrollment form for the parents names. Claire Rose and Erick Rose were the parents.

"Snow," I called over to her. She looked up from the crumbling rag doll. "Do the names Claire and Erick Rose ring a bell at all?" i asked. Snow rose to her feet and a anxious expression crawled upon her face. 

"They were my parents. Dad told me their names as he knew them, that's why he adopted me. Knowing they had died." sternly spoke Snow. I looked down at the enrollment form again and then looked back up at her.

"Millie." I spoke, staring right at her. She gave me a confused expression. "Your name. you're called Millie Mae Rose."

"W-what are you talking about?" she asked confused.

"I found this enrollment form for this nursery and I thought I had found you. As this photo is a child replica of you and has your parents name written down. Your name is Millie Mae Rose, legally." I finally said, placing the document back down on the desk. Snow's eyed widened slightly and she looked down. She started to breathe a lot heavier and then her knees became weak and she fell down to the floor. I rushed over to her and crouched down by her side, grabbing her hand and rubbing her back. 

"I can't believe this. I don't understand. So I was born here? My name is Millie? What happened to this place? How did my parents die? Why was I never told!?" questioned Snow, quickly.

"I don't know, but I think you deserve to find out. After finding all of this out, you deserve a full explanation of your life...Millie." I said, trying to comfort her. It didn't feel right calling her Millie. She was Snow, not Millie. She's always been Snow to me. "I think we need to get you out of here, come back to our mansion. You will be safe there." I suggested. Snow looked up at me with a tear rolling down her face and calmer breathing. She nodded at me and I helped her rise to her feet. We both took one last look at the cremated nursery and then made our way out of the doors and back through the town towards the front entrance. I didn't want Snow going back to her 'dad', as he knows she had ran away by now and I couldn't risk her being hurt again, having another black eye. My head was spinning with how confused I was, I couldn't imagine Snow's head though. Willow Whisp Valley was originally Snow's home and now it's a ghost town. What happened here? I needed to help Snow through all of this...I mean Millie...