How Far The World Will Bend - Chapter 5

Chapter 5. A Caucus Race and a Long Tale

Several days after her encounter with Bessy, Meg stood in the kitchen, arranging flowers in a vase. She had helped Dixon clean and dust the family's living spaces, and was putting the finishing touches on a lovely arrangement of yellow roses, lavender, and ivy, filling one of the large china vases she had found in the kitchen pantry. Stepping back to admire her creation, she was startled by her mother's cry from the parlor above.

"Meg!" Mrs. Hale called out again. Lifting the vase and carrying it carefully in front of her, Meg ascended the steps. Placing the vase on a side table, she moved to stand by her mother at the window overlooking the street.

"We have company," exclaimed Mrs. Hale.

Meg watched as an austere-looking woman descended from a carriage. She was dressed in black from her old fashioned bonnet to the half boots on her feet, and she looked about frowningly, as if she were sorry that she had come to such a place.

"It must be Mrs. Thornton's mother," Mrs. Hale said in wonderment.

"There is no mistaking that stern brow," Meg remarked. "The son truly favors his mother, especially when he is displeased."

"And that must be the sister," her mother added, as a young girl in huge plaid skirts that splayed out stiffly from her frame attempted to squeeze out of the carriage door. She struggled and squirmed much like a butterfly attempting to escape its chrysalis, and when she stood on the pavement at last, freed from the confines of the carriage she shook her skirts about her much as a dog would shake his wet fur.

"What a silly dress," Meg said in exasperation. "Do you think it will fit into our parlor?"

Mrs. Hale looked at Meg in surprise and began to laugh, the first true laugh Meg had heard from her.

Meg giggled in turn, and felt a stirring of warmth and kinship for this lovely, fragile woman. She had never had a mother with whom she could laugh or share silly moments, and was beginning to realize how much she missed.

"Meg, your apron," whispered Mrs. Hale, and Meg turned about so Mrs. Hale could undo the laces.

Thank heavens the parlor is clean and tidy, Meg thought, and she had had time to change her dress from an earlier ramble. Smoothing her hair down, she stepped to her mother's side as Dixon ushered their visitors into the room.

Mrs. Thornton introduced herself and her daughter Fanny to Mrs. Hale and Meg, and Mrs. Hale requested Dixon to serve tea.

Meg stood to help Dixon, but her mother frowned and gave her a fleeting shake of the head. She recognized that her mother was trying to convey to her that it was not her place to prepare the tea tray, but to remain and entertain their company.

Conversation was desultory until the tea tray arrived. Meg served their guests and her mother, and had just settled herself in a chair with her own cup when Fanny Thornton addressed her.

"I see you are not musical, as there is no piano," Fanny commented.

Meg opened her mouth to respond, but her mother's voice cut across her. "We had to sell our piano when we moved from Helstone. As you can see, this parlor would not accommodate a grand instrument."

Meg added, "But I do love music. I understand you have concerts here in Milton."

"Oh, yes," Fanny trilled airily. "We have everything London has, only later." She smoothed down her skirts and studied the tray of cakes, wrinkling her nose in distaste at the selection available.

This tepid style of conversation continued, with sparse comments and long pauses between topics. Mrs. Thornton spoke grudgingly, as if it cost her by the word to converse. Fanny offered several topics, but it became apparent within minutes that she was a very silly girl. Several of Fanny's pronouncements concerning the Hale's small rooms and homely furnishings caused her mother some degree of embarrassment, judging from her pained expressions.