How Far the World Will Bend - Chapter 17

Chapter 17. The Queen's Croquet Ground

Mr. Thornton might have been reluctant to hire Nicholas Higgins, regardless of his tender regard for Miss Hale, but Higgins gave him no cause to regret his decision. He worked hard, and according to Williams, was attentive and clever in his approach to his job. However, the master was still somewhat suspicious of the hand, and kept an eye on him when the chance offered itself.

One evening as he worked late, Mr. Thornton espied Tommy sitting on the wall outside his office, puzzling over a small book. The lad was obviously awaiting Higgins. Tired of trying to make the numbers in his ledgers balance, he decided to join Tommy and quiz Higgins on his activities when he arrived to retrieve his young charge.

Walking around to the ledge where Tommy was stationed, he sat down quietly next to him. Tommy was busy sounding out words in his primer. Mr. Thornton smiled down at the young lad who was concentrating so industriously on the story he read. "Where is Higgins?" he asked gently, and the boy looked up.

"He's finishing up," he said and returned his attention to his book.

The Master frowned. Higgins may be a model employee at Marlborough Mills, but he wondered what he might be up to. If he is agitating for that union again, he thought grimly, letting the thought trail off. He pulled out his pocket watch and noted that it was past seven o'clock.

"Have you had your supper, lad?" Mr. Thornton asked Tommy. The boy shook his head dolefully.

"Mary went to the butcher," he lisped, "but they didn't have any meat."

Mr. Thornton felt a pang. He knew his own dinner awaited him at home, but what would this lad and his brothers and sisters have to eat? At that moment, several workers exited the mill, followed by Higgins. He strolled up and nodded, pulling on his cap. "Evening, Master," he said calmly.

Mr. Thornton looked sternly at the workman. "What have you been doing?"

Higgins hitched at his belt, and sat on the other side of Tommy. "We were finishing up the order. It weren't done on time, and we worked until it were completed."

"I can't pay you for working beyond your time," Thornton stated sternly.

Higgins shrugged. "I see you working beyond your time. If you go under, I lose my job, and who will take care of these children?"

"The boy was telling me he hasn't had his dinner," Thornton remarked.

Higgins sighed. "Some days, there's nothing at the butcher to be had, nothing better than dog's meat."

"It's a shame you can't get up some sort of a scheme, buy food wholesale and cook for twenty instead of one," Mr. Thornton mused. "Then you could feed young scholars like Tommy."

Higgins snorted. "Better be careful, they'll report you to Master's Union."

Mr. Thornton laughed. "Even Masters know that workers must be fed to work well, unless they're idiots," he said dryly, "which some of them are."

Higgins jerked his head toward a corner of the mill yard. "There's an old shed out back might work as a cookhouse. Mind you, we'd need someone to cook."

Mr. Thornton looked at him keenly, a half-smile on his face. "It looks like you did bring your brains to work with you."

Higgins shrugged and said nonchalantly, "Can't leave them at home all the time."

Mr. Thornton stood. "I can't promise you anything. Get up some numbers and bring them to me, and we'll see. Good night, Higgins."

Nicholas hefted Tommy up in his arms, and nodded at Mr. Thornton. "Good-night, Master," he said genially, and headed for home.