How Far the World Will Bend - Chapter 6

Chapter 6. A Mad Tea Party

"Meg," Mr. Hale exclaimed over breakfast several weeks following Meg's initial visit to Francis Street, "I have invited Mr. Thornton to tea this evening. Do you think you could prevail upon Dixon to bake her cocoa-nut cakes?"

"Oh, Father," Meg replied in some dismay, "I wish you had told me earlier. We took down the curtains in the parlor yesterday to wash them, and they are not yet ironed. That is the only room fit for company, aside from your study, and I know how you hate to use your study for gatherings." She sat studying her bowl of porridge, as if that might provide her with an answer. "Ah well, if he is to come, I will offer to iron the curtains so that Dixon might bake."

Her mother huffed a long-suffering sigh, and looked askance at her daughter. "You know how much I dislike having you do housework." Her face was dark with disappointment.

Meg laid a hand gently on her mother's arm. "I know, Mother, but someone must help Dixon until a suitable girl is found. It is not fair that all of the work fall upon her shoulders." She mentally added, if a suitable girl can be found. Dixon had interviewed dozens of young women, but took umbrage at what she considered the overly independent and rough ways of Milton girls.

Meg thought suddenly of Mary Higgins. Bessy had mentioned during her last visit that Mary was in need of employment, explaining that she did not want Mary to work at the mills. Meg decided that she would offer the housekeeping position to Mary the next time she visited the Higgins' home. If Mary came to work for them, Meg could get to know the young woman who would one day adopt her. She smiled at such an improbable event, thinking that her life had become an entire series of improbable events.

Meg spent the afternoon ironing the curtains, trying not to burn herself or scorch the material. She also baked the cocoa-nut cakes, following Dixon's recipe, while Dixon busied herself with heating water for Mrs. Hale's bath and fixing dinner as well as a few small sandwiches for the tea tray. When all was ready, and the curtains hung at the clean windows, and fresh flowers stood in the vases, Dixon looked Meg over critically.

"You look a sight, Miss Meg," she proclaimed. "It is a good thing that I have enough hot water left over from your mother's bathing for you to take a bath. Go upstairs to change and I will prepare the hip bath for you here in the kitchen." Seeing Margaret's look, Dixon explained, "Your father will not be back until tea time, and your mother is resting. You will have the kitchen to yourself, I'll see to that."

Meg protested that it was too much work for Dixon to fill another tub, but Dixon insisted that Meg could not entertain with dust in her hair or dirt under her fingernails. "Lord, haven't you helped me the whole day? I don't know what I would do without you, Miss Meg, but I would certainly be worn to the bone!"

"Thank you, Dixon, it will be a wonderful treat," Meg exclaimed, and impulsively kissed the servant on the cheek.

Dixon swatted her away, but Meg could tell that she was pleased with the affectionate gesture.

Miss Meg is much more kind and thoughtful that she used to be, Dixon thought musingly. Where she had previously been cool and detached, she was now warm and caring to everyone with whom she came into contact. And Meg's care of her dear mother was as gentle and attentive as that of Dixon herself.

Since coming to Milton, Dixon had observed a change in Meg; she willingly took on whatever chores needed to be done, and she had a tender side for those weaker and less fortunate than herself. But that didn't mean she was meek and mild; she spoke her mind, and did not put on the namby-pamby airs affected by so many young women of fashion. I love three people, Dixon thought, my mistress, Master Fred, and Miss Meg. Lord love her, she's solid gold.