How Far the World Will Bend - Chapter 12

Chapter 12. The Garden of Live Flowers

Despite her desire to visit in Princeton, Meg was unable to do so for several days. The day following Bessy's funeral, Mrs. Hale awoke with a fever and complained of increased pains in her chest. Each time she coughed, bright splotches of blood appeared on her handkerchief.

Meg sent for Dr. Donaldson, who told her in hushed tones that her mother was much worse. The disease had her in its relentless grip, and he doubted she would last much longer. He asked Meg quietly if she had written to her brother, and when she nodded, said grimly, "I only hope he may arrive here in time."

Meg was chilled at the thought that Mrs. Hale might never see her son again in this world, and said a hurried prayer that Frederick would hasten to Milton to fulfill his mother's most fervent desire. She wondered at Margaret Hale; what would she think if she returned home to find her mother dead?

Not long after Doctor Donaldson's visit, Meg returned from the clinic one day in time to see Mrs. Thornton departing the house in a carriage. She asked Dixon why Mrs. Thornton had visited, but Dixon would merely say that her mother desired to see her. Mystified, Meg asked her mother, but Mrs. Hale refused to respond, only saying that it was a personal matter between herself and Mrs. Thornton. Meg shrugged her shoulders; it was obviously not her concern. She let the matter drop.

Because Meg's conscience bothered her and in order to prepare her father for Frederick's eventual appearance, she confessed to Mr. Hale that she had written to Frederick. To her surprise, her father thanked her profusely. The blinders had been removed from his eyes at last; he recognized how ill his wife was, and he could see the faint shadow of death upon her features. As Dixon had grimly predicted months before, he was fretful and anxious, and Meg feared that he, too, would fall ill, given the degree of anxiety and guilt he felt. He had convinced himself that his wife's illness was solely due to their removal from Helstone to Milton. Nothing Meg said could sway him from this strong conviction, and he suffered great mental agonies. Meg could often hear him in his library muttering and pacing. To turn her father's thoughts from brooding about her mother, Meg finally asked him to accompany her to the Higgins' home so that they might pay their long overdue call.

When they arrived at the entrance to Francis Street, Meg was surprised to see Dr. Donaldson headed toward them. Before she could frame her question, Dr. Donaldson quietly said, "I am glad you are here. I have just had word that Mrs. Boucher has died, and her neighbors cannot find John Boucher. He knocked upon their doors early this morning, crying out that his wife was dead. When the women came to help with the children, he was gone. He did not come to work today at the clinic, and I am fearful of what he might do."

He lowered his voice and added, "He told Mrs. Jenkins that there was no point in him going on without his wife, and that his children would be better off without him."

"Dear God," exclaimed Mr. Hale, looking extremely frightened.

Meg said swiftly, "What would you have me do?"

Dr. Donaldson sighed. "I know you have only recently done so for your friend Bessy, and would not ask if it were not necessary, but I need you to help prepare Mrs. Boucher's body for burial. Mrs. Jenkins has agreed to help you. I must go look for Boucher."

Meg nodded. "I will go directly to the Boucher's home. Who is watching the children?"

Dr. Donaldson smiled slightly. "The neighbors have taken them into their home for the time being. I believe Tommy is with Mary Higgins." Thanking Meg for her assistance, he walked briskly away to scour the streets for signs of the missing widower.

Meg and her father hurried to the Higgins' house, and found Nicholas spinning a coin on the table for Tommy's enjoyment. Mary hurried to the door to welcome them in, and Nicholas rose to shake Mr. Hale's hand.