How Far the World Will Bend - Chapter 8

Chapter 8. The Lobster Quadrille

When Dixon returned from the wigmakers with a surprising sum of money from the sale of Meg's hair, she helped Meg dress for the Thornton dinner.

Meg did not care what she wore, but Dixon insisted she select a gown fitting for her role as Miss Hale, a London lady who would no doubt be the belle of Milton, given what Dixon had seen of the hard-featured, slovenly dressed young women thereabouts. Meg asked Dixon to select a garment for her, and Dixon chose a gown the color of green sage, with knots of ribbon about the low cut neckline that showed Meg's lovely shoulders and arms to great advantage.

The loyal servant brushed Meg's hair until it shone and had to admit that the shorter hair suited her. She produced a thin gold shawl, several bracelets to adorn Meg's arms, and a pair of diamond drop earrings that belonged to Mrs. Hale. She stood back to admire the effect.

"Miss Meg, go show your mother how well you look," Dixon urged.

Mrs. Hale was resting in bed, having experienced a restless night and taken several doses of the laudanum that Dr. Donaldson had left.

Meg went quietly down the hall, lest her mother be sleeping. She was pleased to see her mother sitting up in the chair by the bed, reading a letter.

When Mrs. Hale saw her daughter, she looked critically at her hair but said nothing. Dixon had explained to her earlier that Meg would rather use the time it took to tend her hair to tend to her mother instead, and Mrs. Hale was touched by her daughter's thoughtfulness. Meg spent quite a bit of time of late preparing small meals for her, and ensuring that she took her medication and drank the herbal teas that Dixon brewed. She had never known her daughter to show her so much care and affection, and Mrs. Hale was deeply grateful.

If the truth be told, the hairstyle suited her, Mrs. Hale thought affectionately. She looked lovely in the gown, and Mrs. Hale's motherly heart swelled with pride. Tears sprung to her eyes as she held out her hands to her daughter.

"Oh, Meg, how lucky I am to have you," She exclaimed, and her eyes dimmed with tears. "And how I wish I could see your brother again," she sighed yet again.

Meg sat down on the bed next to her mother, and held her hands in a comforting clasp. "Would it not be dangerous for him to come, Mama?"

"Yes," sniffed Mrs. Hale, "but I do so long to see him." She looked at Meg plaintively. "Would you write to him and ask him to come home so that I might see him one last time?"

Meg weighed the dangers in her head, and responded slowly, "Let me ask Father what he thinks." She was unsure where to direct such a letter, but perhaps Mr. Hale would know.

She rose from the bed. "I must go down to Father and Mr. Bell, so we will not be late. Dixon will bring your dinner soon." Bending down, she kissed her mother and wiped a tear from her cheek. "Do not fret, Mama. We will sort this out."

As she strolled between her father and Mr. Bell on their way to Marlborough Mills via Princeton, Meg thought about her mother's request. If she were to write to this brother and tell him how ill his mother was, she knew he would probably hasten home, given how close-knit the Hale family was. Mrs. Hale's bond with her son was exceptionally close, Dixon had explained.

His appearance would act as a tonic to her mother, Meg was certain, but she was afraid for Fred's safety. There was a reward on his head, and he would be in certain danger the moment he set foot in England. She longed to ask her father, but did not wish to add to his worries-or heighten his concern for his wife's health. At yet, he was in a pleasant state of denial as to how ill she really was, and Meg was reluctant to be the one to enlighten him.