How Far the World Will Bend - Chapter 15

Chapter 15. Alice's Evidence

Immediately after her shattering encounter with Mr. Thornton, Meg retreated to the kitchen where she attempted to read a book. In reality, she remained out of sight until Mr. Thornton finished his lesson and left their house. He had made it very clear he had no wish to speak to or deal with her, and she was determined to honor his wish to the extent that she could. She felt hot with shame that he should think so poorly of her, but a small spirit of rebellion was rising in her as well. She kept hearing his sharp words over and over again: the risk you're taking being so indiscreet, you must imagine what I think, any foolish passion on my part is entirely over.

If he believed the worst, she thought angrily, then little she said or did beyond betraying Fred's confidence would satisfy him. She would try to put her "foolish passion" for him aside and get on with her life-whatever that meant. She had cried far too much over this incident; it was time to consider what to do next.

Meg had accomplished what she had been sent to Milton to do, as far as she knew. Mr. Thornton had survived the riot, as had Nicholas Higgins and the other rioters. The only fatalities (besides Mrs. Hale who had been beyond recovery when she arrived) had been Bessy and Boucher and his wife. Bessy's illness had progressed too far for any treatment Meg might have devised to stem the tide; and Doctor Donaldson had told her that Mrs. Boucher was so extremely ill that she would not have survived for long, strike or no strike. Boucher had low spirits as a result of the strike and the shunning he had endured from the union members afterwards; upon his wife's death, any desire to live left him entirely. Meg did not know what she could have done to save or prolong his life.

Although her mission had been successful, Meg felt more tied to Milton than ever before. She had become attached to her work at the clinic, and had become close friends with Doctor Donaldson, Nicholas, and Mary. Above all, she could not leave Mr. Hale. He was lost without his wife and son, and clung to Meg with a pathetic bewilderment. For her part, she helped him with his books and studies, and made him take walks with her on the hillsides above Milton to exercise his body and enjoy some fresh air. On the days he had students in for lessons, Meg would slip away to the clinic for several hours; however, she did not stay for very long. Her father fretted if she were gone for any extended amount of time.

********

One morning soon after her shattering encounter with Mr. Thornton, as Meg tidied her father's study, Mr. Hale came in with a letter in his hand and a relieved expression upon his face.

"This letter is from Fred," he exclaimed. "He is safe in Cadiz."

Meg dropped her book and rushed forward to clasp her father in her arms. "Thank God!" she cried.

They stood in each other's embrace for a moment, until Dixon came bustling in, having heard Meg's cry and fearing the worst. When Meg blurted out the good news, the faithful servant began to cry tears of relief. For several moments more, all three were quiet, keeping counsel with their own thoughts.

Finally, Dixon exclaimed, "It is time we had some good news for a change! I believe I will make all of us a cup of tea!" With that determined proclamation, she descended to the kitchen to tend the kettle and prepare the tea tray.

Mr. Hale looked thoughtfully at Meg. He urged her to take a seat before the fire. Settling himself next to her, he slowly sat down and took her lax hands in his clasp.

"Meg, I have a question to ask you," he asked quietly. "Have you done anything to vex Mr. Thornton?"

Meg looked at him guiltily and nodded her head, unable to speak.

"I thought as much. He has not come to the house as much, and has asked if I would consider coming to Marlborough Mills for a time to hold our lessons." Mr. Hale looked thoughtful. "For a time, I believed that he had feelings for you, but something has happened to change that. Will you not confide in me?"