How Far The World Will Bend - Chapter 4

Chapter 4. Looking Glass House

On the following morning, Meg and Mr. Hale set out early in search of a house. They agreed to view the first few offerings located near their hotel together, and to split up to cover the more far-reaching properties. The third house they visited, although smaller than what Mr. Hale would have liked, met their needs and was within their budget. Meg thought the kitchen was dark and gloomy, the rooms were small, and the wall papers were unattractive, but she tempered her criticisms with the idea that wall papers can be changed. She recognized that the family's circumstances did not lend themselves to a larger house.

In any event, the house was highly suitable in terms of location, as it was within walking distance of most of Mr. Hale's prospective pupils and the Lyceum, where he was to give his talks. However, the rent first mentioned by the landlord was more than Mr. Hale felt he could afford. He turned away in despair, but Meg sharply questioned the landlord on the amount of rent being requested, given the fact that the house was somewhat shabby and in need of new papers and paint. The landlord was taken aback and argued strongly for his position, but Meg had watched Aunt Lily bargain from an early age, and had learned at the feet of a master. She pressed her case until the landlord dropped the rental to an amount that the family could well afford, satisfied that the Hales would agree to a one-year residency. Once this was settled, Mr. Hale shook hands with the landlord, paid the first month's rent, and made arrangements for them to move in the first of the week.

"Margaret, you were quite masterful in your dealings with that landlord," Mr. Hale said in admiration, after the landlord left them. "I have never heard you argue so eloquently before. I feared that we could not afford a suitably sized house in Milton, but I believe this house will fit our needs. I do hope that your mother approves," he added. "However, I don't see how we will fit all of our furniture in here."

Meg gazed about the parlor. "We should send Dixon over this afternoon. She would know best how to arrange the rooms and how we should get on." At least, Meg hoped she would. Moving toward the stairs, she gazed up at the landing. "I am of the opinion that the two large bedrooms on the next landing should be yours and mothers. The small room behind the kitchen will suit Dixon, and I will take the attic for my bedroom."

Mr. Hale smiled at her affectionately, and touched her cheek gently. "You will set us all to rights, Margaret. Yes, let us send Dixon to view the house this afternoon. That way, you and she can plan the move without bothering your mother."

As they returned to the hotel, Meg wondered if she would be required to make most of the decisions for this family. From conversations the previous evening and this morning, she recognized that Mr. Hale was a man of great intellect but little practicality, and Mrs. Hale appeared sickly and uninterested in housekeeping; she professed that she wanted no part of finding or furnishing their new home in Milton. Meg also knew that while Dixon would be a great source of assistance and information, Dixon could not make the larger day-to-day decisions; these would fall upon Meg.

How strange to give a young girl so much responsibility, Meg mused, yet it was comparable to the freedoms that Meg enjoyed in her own time, given she worked outside of her home and came and went as she pleased at the boarding house. According to information Meg had learned this morning from her mother's nostalgic discussions of her daughter's time in London, Margaret Hale was obviously a young gentlewoman who had been brought up in society, thanks to her aunt in London. Meg Armstrong, while raised to be a lady, was a working girl with distinct ideas of how to live her life and a strong streak of independence. From what her father and Dixon had said so far, Meg thought that Margaret was somewhat spoiled and used to getting her own way. Meg was uneasy at the thought of playing the part of a grand lady, and hoped that she might not make too many mistakes or be chafed with boredom until she was able to return to her own time. It would be difficult enough not to be able to work every day at the profession she loved so well.