Meeting Laughy Sapphy

~Sapphire's POV~

It's lunchtime and I wait by my locker like Ruby told me too. We ended texting all throughout the day. Just sending funny pics and talking about random things. I see her bushy red hair amongst the crowd and close my locker. 

"Hey. Ready to go?" She grabs my bag that's sitting on the floor and starts walking to the cafeteria, I follow beside her.

"Oh you don't have to carry that, I've got it." I try taking my bag but she just smiles and pulls it onto her shoulder. "No worries, I don't mind carrying it." She looks at me softly. My cheeks start to turn red with a blush. We get to the cafeteria and she grabs her food. I brought my own but I stand with her in line and pick up the conversation we were texting earlier. I lead us to an empty table as she laughs.

"Ok but still I don't understand how a grocery store would be the best place to survive in a zombie apocalypse," she states while sitting down. She straddles the bench so her body is facing me as we talk, making me blush again a little. 

"Okay well, what are people always looking for during a zombie apocalypse? It's always food or water or medicine or power. The grocery store has all of it! And a crazy amount of batteries for light and cinder block walls." She laughs again at my explanation. "What happens when you run out of all that though?" 

She's a fool for doubting me. "All these questions during the apocalypse and you'd be dead by now," I snicker. "You just have to trust me." We laugh together but the fun gets cut short. Apparently, we were sitting at the baseball team's table because they all came crashing down on the benches, loud and obnoxious. 

One random one speaks up. "Woah guys look at Ruby attempting to get some. With Sapphire even." What is that supposed to mean? 

"Guys stop it," Ruby says. I can tell she's irritated by them interrupting. 

"Did you find out if she's DTF yet Rubes?" Another one comments as if I can't hear her. 

"Stop it," Ruby continues. They're starting to irritate me too. 

"I'm serious Ruby. Like I said earlier if you don't hit that soon I'll get at her. Maybe she's as good as her friend." That was Jasper, she was talking about Lapis. I'm about ready to climb over the table and smash her face in.  But I remain composed and emotionless.

"Hey, Ruby tell me, what's lesbian sex like?" 

That sets Ruby off.

"WILL YOU ALL JUST SHUT UP YOU FUCKING ASSHOLES!" She yells standing up and slamming the table. The loud noise makes me jump a little. Ruby looks at me angrily but her face softens, noticing I just saw her outburst. She grabs her bag and leaves, forgetting her food.

The baseball team sits quietly, surprised by Ruby's reaction to their teasing. Quickly I pack my things and follow her out. 

I look around and find her sitting at the end of the hall with her head down. I walk up to her and sit down next to her. She doesn't say anything for a few minutes so I decide to start.

"Ruby? Are you okay?" She sighs and looks at me. Her face softens and she looks back down. Taking a deep breath she replies. "I'm so sorry for what they said. I swear I'm not using you to get something or anything like that." She puts her head in her hands and sighs again. 

"I know Ruby. It's okay." She doesn't respond.

I think for a moment. "I know a spot we can go, to just talk." I stand up and hold out my hand. She looks up and takes in slowly. Standing up, she turns to grab her bag but finds that I already have it. I put it on my shoulder and copy her from earlier. "No worries, I don't mind carrying it." She smiles softly and lets me lead her to the Tea Tree. I sit under it and she copies me.